Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Which Mazda colors are easiest for you to clean?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 03:54 AM
Default Which Mazda colors are easiest for you to clean?

Most people believe that black or other dark colors are easy to maintain and keep clean. They are concerned that light colors will attract dirt and make stains on the car more apparent.
However, I believe light colors are shades that can be easily washed. Honorable mentions include light brown, silver, and gray. Colors, on the other hand, have no effect on your Mazda's resistance to dust or dirt. Rather, it simply covers it in your chosen color.
Another reason is that the black color absorbs visible light, causing dust and dirt to be reflected. All of your car's swirl marks and light scratches will be more visible with black paint.
Brown, grey, and silver would be ideal colors for "hiding" all of the filthy accumulations. Last but not least, light blue is an easy-to-clean and retain car paint. The only disadvantage of using this paint is that many people consider light blue to be a boring color. Unlike the others, it does not have a lot of esthetic effects.
But at least you don't have to waste time washing the color paint job :'D
What are your thoughts, please share them in the comments!

Last edited by fightingraven520; 05-01-2021 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by fightingraven520
Most people believe that black or other dark colors are easy to maintain and keep clean. They are concerned that light colors will attract dirt and make stains on the car more apparent.
However, I believe light colors are shades that can be easily washed. Honorable mentions include light brown, silver, and gray. Colors, on the other hand, have no effect on your Mazda's resistance to dust or dirt. Rather, it simply covers it in your chosen color.
Another reason is that the black color absorbs visible light, causing dust and dirt to be reflected. All of your car's swirl marks and light scratches will be more visible with black paint.
Brown, grey, and silver would be ideal colors for "hiding" all of the filthy accumulations. Last but not least, light blue is an easy-to-clean and retain car paint. The only disadvantage of using this paint is that many people consider light blue to be a boring color. Unlike the others, it does not have a lot of esthetic effects.
But at least you don't have to waste time washing the color paint job :'D
What are your thoughts, please share them in the comments!
I'm not sure who thinks a black car is easy to maintain, it's actually the toughest color to maintain by far. I have owned many a black car and as a detailing hobbyist, if you are looking to keep it looking pristine, it's a losing battle - or at best a lot of work. Light colors - not white, are much more forgiving when it comes to not showing the dirt/dust/pollen.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:12 PM

I could understand a detailing hobbyists having an opposite opinion but I find black easy to clean and not bad looking when dirty.

My only white car was hell to clean. First wash left it looking dirtier than before I started. It looked great when clean but two days later it looked horrible.

Old 05-01-2021, 05:30 PM

Had a first-gen Miata years ago and it had the Starlight Mica Blue paint. Not quite black in some light, but nearly a pale steel gray/blue in other light. Nice color, but easily showed many of the defects that a gloss black tends to show.

Using clay bar and a random-orbital dual-action polisher with decent chemicals and pads, I got the paint's micro-scratches and -swirls all but eliminated, then spent time putting many coats of sealant and maintaining it that way. Once properly prepped, it was fairly easily kept up with. Required frequent reapplication of another sealant coat, sure, and a weekly wash, and occasional spritzing with the detailer for the odd bird goo and whatnot. But from the standpoint of further scratches and swirls, keeping up with it became no worse than any other color, once properly prepared. It was that initial prep, though, that took so long. (A couple of days of washing, claying and polishing, followed by a wash and sealant coat each week until a dozen coats had been applied.) Years later when I sold it, the paint looked showroom new, more or less, the same as how I'd prepped it.

Old 05-01-2021, 07:17 PM

Ah, detailing. Just spent a couple of day detailing my CX-5. Foam wash, iron remover, clayed, polished with machine, wiped down and 2 layer of coating and a topper. Still have to coat wheels, ites and glass.....

Foam

more foam

Cleaned and coated

glass ain't too bad

rear view mirror

hood pinstriping

hood reflection in the garage

head reflection outside

interior not yet redetailed

Old 11-18-2022, 01:17 AM

Silver is the go-to for people that hate cleaning their cars. My wife's silver Civic never looks dirty despite having not been washed in 3 years.

Old 07-07-2023, 06:42 AM

This is helpful. I totally agree. We’re pretty dirty and probably wash our cars less than once a yr. we had a metallic beige/brown minivan and it hid all the dirt and scratches really well.

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1

Last edited by Alkol; 07-09-2023 at 04:03 AM.