Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Default Help Needed

I own a 97' mazda astina and was looking at doing some major modifications to it such as:
*changing it from front to rear wheel drive
*Changing it from a 4 cylinder to a 6 cylinder
* and also from a 5 speed manual to a 6 speed manual
any suggestions are welcome

Old 06-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Default RE: Help Needed

#1 nearly impossible depending on what car you have

#2 nearly impossible depending on what car you have

#3 nearly impossible unless you are loaded with cash.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:14 AM

Anything is possible with enough time, money and talent.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:15 AM

hmm..
1) very diffilcult, i'd just drop in a rx7 motor tho...
2) not too hard... just a engine swap. ive seen a LS2 corvette engine shoe horned into a pontiac Solstice, or V8's in miata's
3) somewhat diffilcult. i'd get a 6 spd from a speed3 or miata.
you'd probably have to fab up some mounting brackets and whatnot to make everything line up and not leak out.

but, i'd just get a miata engine (rwd) and the newer ones (mx-5s) come with a 6 spd.
theres 2 or your goals right there

Old 06-04-2007, 10:37 PM

the front-to-rear-wheel-drive would be the hardest thing to do. the main thing about it would be the subframing and the motor clearance issues. you would probably have to put a big, ugly scoop on the front of the hood to be able to mount the motor correctly and the mounting itself comes down to, as sstlaure said, "...time, money and talent." on paper, it is all possible, but, when it comes down to going from paper to car, there are some problems.
http://www.jdm-online.com/index.php?...b97c5b6b906460
this motor is supposed to fit in my protege 5 and would be incredibly awesome to drop in, but i think that the amount of work and troubleshooting that is involved would make it a huge pain in the butt. all the wisdom that i can offer is, at one point, you just have what you have and there is not a whole lot that you can do about it. i recommend just getting something that comes well-equipped stock and save some time, money, and headache by modding it.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:48 AM

holy ****!
a 3 rotor????
i saw one of those in a older rx7, and damn that thing was fast!!
i think the speedometer was faster than the tach. like, u have no idea...

i tihnk it was posted here a while back.... i think

Old 06-05-2007, 07:29 PM

oh i know. i have seen the three rotor in a JDM mx-5 and it was too fast. that's what i want in my car and they say that the gtx and gtr models of my car come with it stock but that it is a hell of a conversion to try to undertake. if i had the time, i would do it because i am getting a decent sized settlement from that accident on the left, but i just don't have the time or the patience.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: wsoape281

oh i know. i have seen the three rotor in a JDM mx-5 and it was too fast. that's what i want in my car and they say that the gtx and gtr models of my car come with it stock but that it is a hell of a conversion to try to undertake. if i had the time, i would do it because i am getting a decent sized settlement from that accident on the left, but i just don't have the time or the patience.
GTX comes with a turbo inline 4. I've ridden in one. the 3 rotor was not MADE to fit into a P5 it was made for the Mazda Uenos Cosmo. One was also planned for the 1990 GTUs Rx-7 but didn't make it due to fuel economy. The cosmo was the only Mazda vehicle to get the 3 rotor but many Rx-7 owners do the conversion.

The engine is called the 20B