Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Gas Price in Your Area

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

A VERY big time OUCH on that one. That admission should make us North Americans thankful for what we have.
The last time I bought go-juice, I put 11 US Gals in for $42.00... $3.56/gal.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:20 AM

Oh yeah, that hurts where it hurts most!

Consider: Europe produces very little of it's own oil. Until oil was found in the North Sea they essentially produced nothing. (Ironically it was a French family that started commercializing petroleum: Schlumberger, check out that company). As a result they slap tons of tariffs and taxes on petroleum based fuels to encourage fuel saving practices. The average European car has been geared towards fuel saving. Then the European refineries are optimized to produce Diesel fuel, because inherently Diesel engines are more efficient. And Diesel is taxed less than gas so it is cheaper a the pump. That speeds up the payback for the higher purchase price of the vehicle.

...And Europeans drive about as many km as Americans drive miles per year. 1 km =.6 mi.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:47 AM

That is also why each little town, and even neighborhood, has its own stores, I have 2 SPARs and 1 MPreis (love that store, in fact all of them, here is an article about them, the one in Rum is close by, been there multiple times, mine is not in the list MPRIES / The Best Supermarkets in the World | The Fox Is Black ) all within walking distance BUT I dont walk there to go shopping since going there is downhill but coming back with groceries is UPHILL, and not a gentle slope either, were talking driving my 3 in 2nd gear with the AC on to hold 30-35mph with occasional brake pressing. Also on top of that most gas stations here have a 2-stroke pump for the scooters and occasional 2-stroke cars (Saabs, Trabants) so you gotta be careful which handle you grab, OH and the diesel handles are black and gasoline is green...............Yes I HAVE put gasoline in the Transit once, only a liter before I realized what I did but still did it, and when I was back in the states I damn near put gas in my F250 diesel once................you gotta be careful with those handles!! LOL

Old 09-13-2012, 03:10 PM

$4.199 per gallon (Chevron regular) here in California.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:43 PM

$4.59 for Chevron regular today.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:58 PM

Price has come down a bit lately here the last week, only at $7.48 a gallon now (1.54 euro/L).

Old 11-06-2012, 04:28 PM

$3.89 Chevron regular today. Usually a $0.20 uplift for premium gas.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:38 PM

$3.17 for ethanol blend in Ames Iowa, yesterday. It's about 4 c less in Des Moines.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Oh yeah, that hurts where it hurts most!

Consider: Europe produces very little of it's own oil. Until oil was found in the North Sea they essentially produced nothing. (Ironically it was a French family that started commercializing petroleum: Schlumberger, check out that company). As a result they slap tons of tariffs and taxes on petroleum based fuels to encourage fuel saving practices. The average European car has been geared towards fuel saving. Then the European refineries are optimized to produce Diesel fuel, because inherently Diesel engines are more efficient. And Diesel is taxed less than gas so it is cheaper a the pump. That speeds up the payback for the higher purchase price of the vehicle.

...And Europeans drive about as many km as Americans drive miles per year. 1 km =.6 mi.
Don't the taxes and tariffs go a long way towards funding things like infrastructure projects, upkeep and new? In the US, we could use that it seems, everywhere I drive, roads are falling apart....

3.19 here (North Alabama)

Old 11-11-2012, 11:49 AM

Were down to $7.09 USD a gallon now!!! YAY!!! Been going down slowly the last month.

Quick Reply: Gas Price in Your Area