New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

will not pass smog

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Unhappy will not pass smog

I have taken my car to the test only station like 6 times all together.
I just took it Thursday he told me to drive it 50 miles so I did and went back on Friday and he told me to drive it another 50 miles. I took it back Saturday and he said it was at the same place it didnt move. All together I put like 180 miles since Thursday. The man thats been checking my car said to ask someone at a Mazda dealer what can be going on. I used a diagnostic machine and nothing came up but the lights on the machine just the yellow one lit. Im a single women with no income so it makes it very hard for me. Can you please help me! Saldbar

Old 10-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Banned

Year, Make, Model, mileage, last time spark plugs changed?

TIPS:
When you take it to smog place you drive it for 20 minutes before you get there and keep it running while you wait. This will give your vehicle enough time to reach optimal temperatures for your coolant and oils as well as optimal pressure for your catalytic converter.

Change Engine Oil - If you haven't performed an oil change within the last 5,000 miles, go ahead and do it before the emissions test. This will assist in getting passing emission test results. Your vehicle's Positive Crank Ventilation (PCV) system is designed to allow the engine to breath fumes from the oil compartments. The fumes are then burned through the combustion process. If the oil in your engine is contaminated due to inadequate oil changes it may very well cause your vehicle to fail the emissions test. Contaminated oils are high in Hydrocarbons (HC) and will present a rich mixture to the combustion chambers. Not performing regularly required oil and filter changes not only causes premature engine wear but can also cause your vehicle to not pass the emissions inspection.

You may also have to change your PCV valve.

Use Fuel System Cleaner - Fuel additives, can be very helpful in lowering emission levels and helping your car, truck, van or SUV pass the emissions inspection. Fuel additives are generally poured into a vehicle's gas tank during fuel refueling. The additive is mixed with your vehicle's fuel. The purpose is to clean carbon deposits within your engine's intake and exhaust paths, allowing for both fuel and air to flow freely within its passages, thus lowering emission levels, improving combustion, increasing overall engine performance, and helping you pass the emission test. It also helps to clean your injectors for a better spray pattern and makes for proper mixture and easier burning. When driving, let it warm up and don't be afraid to step on gas pedal once in a while to rev it up which will aid in cleaning. use the complete application and refueling with fresh fuel prior to the smog check----put it in with near full tank of gas. Drive around til gas is below 1/8 tank, re-fill tank. Now you can go to smog test.

Inflate your tires. Proper tire pressure will put less strain on your car engine, which will improve your chances of passing the test.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 10-18-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:14 PM

It also sounds like the car is stuck in open loop mode if he keeps telling you to drive it, go to autozone and tell them your check engine light is on and they will scan it for you, write the codes down that they give you and report back. Also ditto to what Noggin wrote, we also (as Noggin said) need to know what car you have. Welcome to the forums!!

Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Default won't pass smog

My car is a 1999 madza protege 1.6. when we did the test only the yellow light came on. And the engine light is not on.

Thank you
saldbar