General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mazda Tribute Smog - EVAP and Catalyst Status Not Ready

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Default Mazda Tribute Smog - EVAP and Catalyst Status Not Ready

I have a 2002 Mazda Tribute that cannot pass smog because both the EVAP and Catalyst Status show "not ready". The car otherwise passes.

I find many posts explaining the necessary drive cycles (after disconnecting the battery, etc.) but not much to help out if the drive cycles are unsuccessful.

The car was due for smog 6 months ago and failed for the same reasons. Driving the car THOUSANDS of miles did not change the "not ready" status.

In the mean time, I recently had to replace the battery, alternator and starter over the course of a month, which started the process all over again. I followed the suggestions: gas tank half full, don't exceed 75 MPH etc etc. After 400 miles, still "not ready".

I am not a mechanic. I don't have a hand-held sensor or anything fancy. I am told if I tell a mechanic "it didn't pass smog" they cannot work on it and a California "smog repair" place said I had to take it to a dealer. The dealership quoted "at least" $400 to run it through whatever they do there.

Any tips on how can I determine the root cause of this malfunction?

Old 10-03-2013, 03:00 PM

How many miles? Is there a check engine light, thats the one that shows a motor top left of instrument panel. If it has a code, probably pending, post the code number. I'd say with my 02 tribute I've had to replace/clean the egr valve. In fact I have a spare in the garage. I've also had an issue with the egr sensor. Probably time to replace the cat's. You will have two forward, and one exit. I had the exit fail this march due to the front cats failing, thus plugging the exhaust. Mine was an easy fix since we don't have emissions here, replaced exit cat with a straight pipe.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:34 PM

The check engine light is not on. The only symptom besides the two "not ready" status is that the oil pressure light flickers at idle (goes away upon acceleration).

Old 08-16-2018, 02:56 AM
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by eliz_butler
The check engine light is not on. The only symptom besides the two "not ready" status is that the oil pressure light flickers at idle (goes away upon acceleration).
  1. I was wondering if you ever got your problem solved mine is doing the exact same thing if you could help I'd really appreciate it

Old 07-16-2019, 11:41 AM
Unhappy 2004 Mazda Tribute Catalyst and EVAP monitors/sensors not ready

I am at my wits end on trying to solve this issue. I can not pass my emissions because of it and in return can not renew my plates on my Tribute. Tried numerous thinks but nothing so far. Are there physical sensors that can be replaced? I can't afford putting new cats on it. any suggestions?