Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Check engine light on will not pass MA inspection for exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Default Check engine light on will not pass MA inspection for exhaust

I have 97 Millenia with 118k miles (2.5L engine). I had problem with engine light being on for last 5 years from around 40k miles. Sometimes it feels like the engine slows down and shakes and the RPM arrow goes really donwn during that. Most of the things were replaced but the damn engine light comes back on like a click work. Could the engine computer be to blame? I also read someplace that vacuum hoses could be cracked? I looked for engine computers but apparently there are different ones(differ by id) so i need to check which id is on mine. Is there a way to find out the id without actually taking out the computer and if not - how do i remove the computer(it says its under center dash). If anyone could point me to the manual on how to get to it i would really appreciate it. Or any other suggestion would really be great! Getting very frustrated with this problem

Old 02-02-2009, 11:04 AM

ummmm. how about get the code(s) scanned, and start from there? if the lite was on from 40k, and federal law says ALL obd2 cars are warranted for 8yr/80k for emission problems, and you didnt take it back to the dealer to get it fixed for free, i got no sympathy for you. 5 years. now you get to pay for it

Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 AM

Each time the check engine light came on i took it to the dealer and they did something so it was off for about 2-8 month at the time. Ever since the waranty expired i am on my own. Will get the check engine codes now. Also does anyone know what the white(semi-transparent) reservoir with 2 openings(looks like the hoses should attach there) and markings KL 47 is? It was taken out by one of the machanics"you dont need it" about 2 years ago, thinking that it could contribute to the problem.

Last edited by pesok; 02-04-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:55 AM

you have to remove the radio to get at the computer. your computer is fine, it is doing it's job. you just need to pay attention to what it is trying to tell you. start with getting the codes it has stored.
the part kl47 might be your coolant resevoir. does it have a radiator cap on it? if so, that is it. and for someone to tell you "you dont need it" is another one of those, "i cant believe people are that stupid" statements. at least you now know not to go back there. and heck yes, you need that. here's a hint. if you ever take the car to a shop with the ce lite on, and they dont scan it, but guess at what it is, leave. for a shop not to have a scan tool means they dont know what they are doing. it is a BASIC tool for cars.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:18 PM

i went to mazda dealership and the part in question is :kl47-13-201b duct fresh. Apparently its is part of the emissions system, if thats the case and that in fact is my problem then i wasted about 4k in reaplcing all the crap 7 dufferent machanics told me to replace to fix the problem that was initially caused by the $50(dealer cost) part. I am so happy but also mad at myself

Old 02-05-2009, 05:39 PM

that's a fresh air duct, kinda like one of those useless cold air intakes. it routes the air inlet to the throttle body from cooler air outside the hot engine bay. mazda put it there for a reason. but i dont think it has anything to do with the ce lite.