New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Where do I start please ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:02 AM
Default Where do I start please ?

Hi Folks,

From the UK, I have just bought a 2009 Mazda 1.3 Ts2, petrol with a manual gearbox. I want to do my own servicing, so may I ask:
  1. Can I / where can I buy a Workshop Repair manual ?
  2. Do I need diagnostic software to do routine servicing e.g. set any service reset indictor ?
  3. A blue light comes on when I start the car to show me that the coolant is cool. Why tell me that when it is a cool morning ?

Thanks

Old 03-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hi headache,

1) Hmmmm. Service manuals of the type that are truely any help are hard and expensive to come by. I'm talking about +/-$150 in USD. There are various things on the web that are specific to what some other owners have done and perhaps a few pages posted from a factory manual, but more would be a violation of copyright laws and is dangerous to the poster, and the site they are posting on.
2) In a word, no. In the states, the 3's do not have a service indicator. I'm not sure about Britian?
3) Actually, that's kind-of-a-neat little feature that again, we do not have here. Many Americans are pretty stupid about the inner workings of their cars and probably would complain to their dealers about the light.
What its good for, IMO, is to let you know when its safe to "stab the throttle." Flooring a cold engine is never a good idea so this is probably what that's telling you. An engine oil temperature gauge or even an idiot light letting you know the OIL is up to temp would be a better indicator, but if that's what this does.....?

Does that help?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:52 AM

Hi headache,

1) Hmmmm. Service manuals of the type that are truely any help are hard and expensive to come by. I'm talking about +/-$150 in USD. There are various things on the web that are specific to what some other owners have done and perhaps a few pages posted from a factory manual, but more would be a violation of copyright laws and is dangerous to the poster, and the site they are posting on.
2) In a word, no. In the states, the 3's do not have a service indicator. I'm not sure about Britian?
3) Actually, that's kind-of-a-neat little feature that again, we do not have here. Many Americans are pretty stupid about the inner workings of their cars and probably would complain to their dealers about the light.
What its good for, IMO, is to let you know when its safe to "stab the throttle." Flooring a cold engine is never a good idea so this is probably what that's telling you. An engine oil temperature gauge or even an idiot light letting you know the OIL is up to temp would be a better indicator, but if that's what this does.....?

Does that help?

Thank you, that certainly helps.

(1)

Ah yes it is the same problem with my old car, an Audi. I recently fitted a battery for £62 compared to a supply+fit quote of £268 from the dealer. At least I now have a parts list, USD6 on Ebay.

(2)

OK and thanks. That's good news.

(3)

Yes I can now see the benefit but I agree a temperature guage would be a bit more mainstream.

Thank you, very helpful.

Last edited by headache56; 03-13-2012 at 02:53 AM. Reason: typo