New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Turning japanese?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Default Turning japanese?

Hello there guys and gals.

my name's Adam. i've been going with german cars since the first day I drove.

i've been the proud owner of a 2004 VW R32 for a few years and have been looking into other vehicles as the VW is showing its age these days. with only having 240 hp stock and weighing heavy at3400 lbs, I've realized that's she's a bit ofa slouch when compared to other recent offerings from car companies.

the R32 definitely is the most exciting car I've ever owned. and anyone that's driven one will almost always say the same. but, i'm looking for something with some more oomph. i have been watching the new WRX STI for a while and was considering one until I found out that the rear seats would be practically the same as are in the normal WRX; which are simply the worst seats ever. i would never want to force a passenger on them. plus, i've driven many wrx sti's and for whatever reason, they feel disconnected. i'm sure they'll be powerful monsters, i want something that has something besides power.

i'm a regular reader of many car magazines and have always wanted to drive the mazdaspeed 3. after seeing it kick some tush in the comparos, I figured I would drive one at some point. but, today, I was let out of work early (socal fires are messing things up BIG TIME down here), and decided to head to a mazda dealership to give it drive. the mazdaspeed 3 is seriously awesome.

i'm a regular vwvortexer and go to a lot of car meets, auto-x events and gtg's, and my only reservation on getting a car besides a VW or audi or some other vortex-specific vehicle is how good the brand community is.

do mazda owners on this forum head to frequent auto-x/track events? and how serious is the modding community? are there a good amount of options (cosmetic and performance-wise) in the aftermarket? does anyone set up gtg's besides driving events?

i hope so.

either way, after driving the mazdaspeed 3, it's difficult to find a reason why i shouldn't get it. lack of color options might be only reservation, to be completely honest. let me hear from some mazdaspeed 3 owners.

how are you guys liking the car? how's the gas mileage? how's that torque steer feeling? any remedies for that? what companies make turbo upgrade packages or other performance-oriented packages?

thanks in the advance and sorry for the long post

-adam