New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

New Member Story

Old 01-06-2019, 11:49 AM
Smile New Member Story

Hey guys, I am brand new to the forum but I have a lot of experience wrenching and troubleshooting my B2200.

My truck build began this summer (2018). I have always wanted a mazda mini truck since I was 14, and i saw a PERFECT red b22 at a body shop on my commute to work every day. One day i stopped in and asked about the truck: It was the owners father's truck which he daily drove every day and it was certainly not for sale. I could tell the old man was emotionally attached to the truck. But upon further questioning the old man took me out back and showed me his old 1992 b2200 which was rotting away under a tree behind the shop. The frame was completely rotted away almost to the point where the truck was in half. the motor and trans were perfect though, only 110K miles. Bought that rotten truck for $100. And so my journey began.
I found a neglected red 87' b2200 with no motor in it, and quickly scooped it up for another $100 in New Haven CT. it had been pushed around the yard many times and the tailgate and rear were in pretty rough shape.

I trailered both of the half-vehicles to my work to begin the swap. I pulled the 1992 2bl and trans with the entire emissions and wiring setup out of the green truck, and tossed the entirety into the red one. Then i pulled all of the goodies off of the green parts truck and scrapped the remains. I had to put in a new fuel pump, pads, rotors, wheel cylinders, some seats from a 2012 subaru, and basically the best parts of the two went into the red one. Since it had green doors and tailgate i used some leftover gallons of plasti-dip to paint the whole truck camo green. Came out.... decent.

Then, i put 3" blocks in the rear and cranked the torsions out 10 turns to put the vehicle slightly lower to the ground. Did the timing belt, tensioners, accessory belt, a new alternator, and the battery from my old f-150 which i scrapped.
Now, the 87 is my daily driver! Needs some TLC still, but it is a running driving car at the moment. This is the short version of the story as my intro to the forum.
I will be posting several updates and questions in the coming weeks.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:56 PM

Here are some pics to go along with the early parts of my build:

This is the old man's rotten truck which i pulled the drivetrain from ^
Below: scrapping the remains of the 1992 donor

This one below is me bringing the running driving shell to my garage for paint.

Next: prep, paint, and 3" drop!

Old 01-07-2019, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Looking good, well done.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:48 AM

You do impressive work. I will never understand why pick up trucks the size of that generation Mazda aren't still popular. I had a 86 B2000 that I bought new when they first came out and still miss it. I look forward to following your progress.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA View Post
You do impressive work. I will never understand why pick up trucks the size of that generation Mazda aren't still popular. I had a 86 B2000 that I bought new when they first came out and still miss it. I look forward to following your progress.
Thanks for the support, sir! I love my truck, and it definitely is much better than the GIANT new trucks for sale. $30 a month to insure and was cheap as heck to build (<$600) but took some patience, time, and effort to get to this point. I am not looking to dump my cash into it, but using the truck as a learning experience as my first carb’d/antique vehicle. I do all of the work myself on flat pavement, my B2200 has never been to a shop, and I have zero formal training as a mechanic.

I really need to post a pic of the interior tomorrow because I need some suggestions.