Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Positive story! WoW! Go Protege!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 02:45 AM
Default Positive story! WoW! Go Protege!

Hey,

I thought I'd share a neat little story. I have a '94 Protege LX w/a 5spd... I guess many many moons ago, the car had an "autoguard" security device installed on it. It's a chip that, when removed, will not allow the starter to function... Well, I put the chip on my key ring today (like usual), and LOST it at work today (please don't ask me how, I really don't know where it went)... So, I was left with a car that don't start.

I was SO angry at it! Because this car has some quirks, and I've put quite a bit of money into it so far since I bought it (last Nov.) I really wanted to get a different car. BUT ANYWAY, after calling like 10 people in the phone book, I finally found a guy that knew about these devices, and said that the car could be push-started, and that he could remove it for around $50. I was really skeptic about push starting this thing, cause my 1st car was sorta hard to do this with. But anyhow, I pushed it down the parking lot, slapped it into 2nd, and the cute little engine sputtered and came right on!!! No violent bucking, hesitation, or anything, it was SO smooth! I didn't even feel it! THIS THING IS THE EASIEST CAR TO PUSH START IN MY LIFE! I can't believe it! WOW!

So, that's a bit of encouragment to any of you that have one with a manual

Old 05-12-2006, 04:17 AM
Default RE: Positive story! WoW! Go Protege!

Back in the mid 90's I used to install a variety of these "chips" myself. I can't remember the different brand names. But they are very easy to un-install. All they are is a starter interrupt. Just follow the wiring usually to the steering column area and see where it was spliced in at. Then cut that wiring from the device and reattach the factory wiring back together. Very easy!

Old 05-12-2006, 04:47 PM

hmm... very cool device! you think it's worth the money?

Old 05-12-2006, 10:49 PM

No, they are a piece of junk. They simply disable the starter circuit of the ignition switch by having that wire cut and then run to this unit. You then have to install a 'key' to complete the electrical circuit and allow the engine to crank. We used to install them on every new car and then was upsold as a security option. If they did not want to pay for it then salesman just broke the key off in the socket so it was no longer removeable. We had so many towed back in that were both enabled and disabled that we quit installing and junked the program.
If you want a good setup similar to that then buy a good quality toggle switch and hide it up under the dash where you can easily reach it yourself and run the cranking wire to that instead.