New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Needing help with my Mazda 2 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 03:01 PM
Default Needing help with my Mazda 2 Sport

Hey, new member & relatively new to Mazda's. I've got around to getting my driving licence at the age of 37 (Better late than never). But I came across an auction a few months ago for cars discovered in storage & out popped a Mazda 2 Sport Hatchback 2004 model. I could see from the room, no one was interested in it & I won. It had only done 27 miles & in mint condition. Anyways, I was parked up for the day in a busy shopping area & when I came back. I noticed one of the covers that you take off to fit a roof rack was missing. Looked all around but couldn't see it. Couldn't of fallen off because they're not easy to take off. I did notice some scratch marks around the bit you prize it open. So I think some low life nicked it. I can only say, I am miffed.

Anyways, I have looked all over for the part & cannot find anything. Only things that show up are the flat versions. However my car has the raised bars from the roof & the cover folds over the sides, if you know what I mean. So I'm looking to know if anyone knows exactly what they're called & where to find them. I contacted Mazda & they directed me to a Mazda showroom where I was met with smugness & contempt for asking them about a 2004 Mazda 2 in a room full of 2018 Mazda's. So here I am, seeking your fine people's help. I will try & take a picture in the morning & attach in case my description wasn't good enough.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:34 AM

First, congratulations on your find. The Mazda 2 should be a great first car at any age.

As to your specific question, try a different Mazda dealership and ask in the parts department, Bring a picture of the part. They should be able to help you. You may also be able to find what you need in a salvage yard.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:46 PM

Welcome to the forum

Old 08-20-2019, 05:44 PM

Sorry for the late reply. I must of been to about 20 dealerships & 15 scrapyards & I managed to find a set off a partially scrapped Mazda 2. Slightly different shade of grey to mine, but they do the job & only cost a fiver. So ty for the advice

Old 08-20-2019, 05:49 PM

Congratulations. I hope you enjoyed the adventure of the search instead of frustrated by the process.

Otherwise how has your Mazda 2 been for you?

Old 08-21-2019, 09:39 AM

Honestly, even though it's my first car. I've travelled in many & I have to say, it's gotta be one of the best drives I've had. Even though its a 2004 Sport Hatchback model & in mint condition. I get about 380 miles on a full tank, which is really good & the insurance is dirt cheap.
The only downside to it, is that the CD player just decides not to recognise CD's on hot days & the radio reception is **** poor. No USB for MP3 Playing. Would love to know if there's aftermarket centre console replacements to upgrade. I'm currently looking into the Aux cable adaptor you put into the free port at the back that's supposed to be for multi CD changer. I've tested it & it doesn't seem to recognise anything, even though the video's say to press CD twice or MD/Tape but no luck. Then I've spotted some 2nd hand ones from Mazda 2 Demio 2006 which doesn't have MD/Tape, it just says media. So I'm thinking, maybe my one is just too old & need to upgrade it. But apart from lack of ability to play music from my phone, its great. I don't think I'll need to buy a new car for a very long time lol

Old 08-21-2019, 10:43 AM

I ran into a similar situation with a first generation MINI that I have. I wanted to listen to podcasts and audio books as well as connect to a cell phone in a car without an aux port, USB or Bluetooth.

I purchased a "FM Transmitter on Amazon for around $15.00 US. You tune your radio to an unused FM radio station in your area and the transmitter plays the audio from a USB or your phone over the car's speakers. It plugs into the car's 12 volt power port.

It is not perfect. The sound has a lot of static when I am in a city where the radio station is not clear, the microphone is not up to the challenge of holding a phone conversation in convertible with the top down and it takes up a 12 volt power port when I also needed it for the GPS. All minor problems in comparison to the advantage of being able to listen to what I want to listen to 90% of the time.