New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Looking for a Mazda 6

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:50 AM
Default Looking for a Mazda 6

I currently drive a Mondeo ST tdci and am looking to upgrade to a Mazda 6 around November, I'm undecided on which model to go for, either the TS2 or Sport (preferably in white)

I have a few questions if you would be so kind to answer

1. On my ST the ride is incredibly stiff due to the sporty suspension, can I expect the same from the Sport or TS2 model?

2. On a full tank I get around 530 miles, what can I expect from a Sport or TS2 (looking at 2.2L diesel, either a 163 or 185bhp?

3. Is there any advantage in getting a model with twin exhausts (other than for show)

4. Would you recommend the 163 or 185bhp?

Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 PM

I've just bought the Mazda 6 185 SL (2010/10) estate. The suspension is way to stiff for me for motorway driving - which is where I live. Probably v good fun on smaller roads but for me on motorways a bit of a nightmare. Did you ever buy? If not I might be in the market to flog mine - if that is I cant find a way to un-stiffen the suspension somewhat.

Fwiw, my last car was a Honda Accord Tourer 2007 - which was SO much better behaved on motorways...

J

Old 02-21-2013, 01:32 PM

P.S. I got the car checked out by my local Mazda dealer and the steering had a major, potentially life-threatening fault that would cost c. £2300 to fix.
I extremely unimpressed with Car Supermarket for selling me a car with such a major and potentially dangerous fault on it and they have agreed to pick it up and take it away from me. And I do not expect to pay a single penny for this hugely inconvenient fiasco.

The good news is that I have since bought a TS2 model that has softer suspension and smaller rims (17" I think) and the ride on the motorway is almost unrecognisable - way WAY more comfortable. The tradeoff is of course that cornering is distinctly worse but I'd still call it 'good'.

The replacement is 163 not 185, and although it's definitely not as quick, I dont honestly think that there is all that much in it. It still feels fast-ish. What is nice is that the engine is pretty quiet at high revs and does it's work without too much fuss. I used to have a Golf TDI that I got tuned up from 130 to about 165bhp, and although it was extremely quick (0-60 I timed at less than 8 seconds), and although it was pretty economical with MPG well into the 50s without difficulty on the motorway, what I hated was that it was extremely noisy under load. Think one large angry wasp when revving hard. I really hated all that noise.

Since buying my Mazda 6 everyone keeps telling me that the Honda Accord is a "much nicer car", but although the handling on the Mazda isnt so sweet and although the Mazda seats are nothing like as comfortable as the Honda, I dont think that there's a huge amount in it.

The huge drawback for me is that the new honda has very poor space in the boot/back.