New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

looking to buy mazda 6

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Default looking to buy mazda 6

im looking to get a mazda 6 im going to trade in my corolla and truck for the car its 27.610 how low should i ask them to go on this car ?

Old 04-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Default RE: looking to buy mazda 6

They're going to ream you on trade-in.

As an example...I turned in a 4 year old F-150 Crew Cab 4wd loaded ($36K retail) with 107,000 miles for $11K. On the market I could normally have gotten at least $3K more than that, but at the time all of the Big3 were putting multiple thousands of dollars on the hood of every truck, so no one was buying used.

Oh yeah, 11K was the best of 4 offers on the truck from various dealers.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:38 PM

yeah with the two cars on the mazda its going to be almost 30,000 but im going to save about 300 in car payments so they are adding 3,000 b/c of the d*** truck...why im trading both cars is b/c we are moving to hawaii and the army is just going to pay us to send one car and we have to pay for the other one and thats going to be about 2,000 just to send it over there...so we will save money if we trade in both cars

Old 04-25-2006, 09:32 PM

Jen, are you looking to buy the 06 Mazda6?

I highly recommend you try and sell both of your vehicles privately, if you have the time to do so. You post the right prices on your cars, they will sell quick enough. I don't know about the truck selling too well, because of gas prices, but there are companies, like Landscaping companies...that look for cheaper trucks (if it's heavy duty), to haul their stuff around.

I've traded in 3 of my cars.

I made out well with my 91 MR2...got $1k more than what I bought it for.
When I traded in my '00 Solara...they kinda gave me a crappy deal on it. They gave me $7,500. (I originally paid $15k.)
Then the Mercedes...the little bank robber...I picked that up for $25k...had issues with it, traded it in for my Mazda...they could only give me $17,200 for it. So, I took a major loss on it, because that couldn't even pay off what I still owed on the car.

Never trade in a car that has payments left on it, unless you only owe a small amount. Usually your interest rate increases, banks are less likely to approve you for a loan since you'll owe on the car AND the rest of your previous loan, and obviously your monthly rate will increase.

Did you already get approved for the loan yet? You have to watch it with dealers sometimes because they tell you how much your payments will cost...but read the fine print...it's only for "qualified" buyers. My Mazda dealer hooked me up...they called every loan company around to get me the best interest rate with the lowest payments. I loved my dealer. Where is your location now?

Old 04-25-2006, 09:48 PM

i try selling the truck but like you said the gas is to high and its not a heavy duty truck...and we are moving in 2 months so i really dont have time to try and selling them...im getting 2,500 off the car so that cut out most of the truck and im not that upside down on the are just like 700...i was already approved for the loan by mazda but i like to see what my bank will do...im going to see tomorrow if they will take off 2,000 ...but they say my payments will be 548 i think thats a little high but im going upside down on two cars and i have to trade them in...and i looked around but im in a army town so everything out here is hight anyways i live in lawton fort sill oklahoma

Old 04-25-2006, 11:08 PM

If you don't drive a ton of miles, I think mazda is offering a lease on the Mazda 6i for something like $150/month (It was advertised locally here in Detroit, but there may be something similar near you.

You may only have to trade in one vehicle to make the downpayment and security deposit and you will have a much lower payment. (Of course, at the end of the lease you don't have anything, and you have to make sure to stay under mileage to avoid extra costs.) Just another option to think about.

(I've been to Lawton, and lived in Yukon, OK for 9 years back in the day...)

$548 seems real steep.

Look at the 24 month cost of the vehicle (a likely term length for a lease)
$548*24 months=$13,152

Even if you had a $2,000 down payment/security deposit and $300 lease payments (not unlikely these days to find much lower, that lease payment is actually pretty high based on the ads I see)

$300*24 months=$7200
$2000+$7200=$9200

That's $3952 in just the first 2 years.

If you get the same terms on a 3 year lease

$548*36 months=$19,728

$300*36 = $10,800+$2000 = $12,800.......That's $7000 saved over 3 years.

Oh yeah...if money is tight, I highly recommend the Mazda3 as a slightly less expensive alternative to the Mazda6. I own both and from an interior space standpoint, there really doesn't seem to be a ton of size/utility difference between the 2 cars except some increased rear leg room.

I picked up my Mazda 3i (Base version) for $14,900 out the door.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:32 PM

sslature, you're damn good.

$548 a month is RIDICULOUSLY high. You can definitely take the loan out for longer if $548 isn't feasible for you. Always try and talk the dealer down in their price. If they say no at first, don't be surprised. Just do the whole "Okay, then I will be taking my business elsewhere if you're not willing to make it work out better for me." Usually, they NEVER let a potential buyer walk. If they do let you walk, KEEP WALKING. Sometimes they will call you within the next day or two to say they want to work a deal out with you. If not, they really weren't worth making a deal with anyway, move on and find another one. There's plenty of them around!

Old 04-26-2006, 10:49 PM

i got them down to 500 a month you have to think i traded in 2 car and was about 5000 upside down but 500 its not bad for me and its better than paying 2000 to ship the truck than trying to sale it in hawaii...if i did that i just lost 2000 but i been driving all day and i love this car its sooooooo nice lol all my friends are mad b/c im not letting them drive it lol