New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Just bought a 2001 626, need advice on what to add please

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Default Just bought a 2001 626, need advice on what to add please

I just bought a 2001 626 with 69,000 miles on it. It's in excellent condition inside and out. I know very little about cars or about customizing and audio and all that stuff so I really need some ideas on what to do to upgrade or modify my new car or whatever. Any advice or links would be helpful. Anything from pricey to cheap little things just to make my car fresher.

Thanks

Old 05-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Default RE: Just bought a 2001 626, need advice on what to add please

Well it depends on what you want to go for. A faster car, a better looking car, a more comfortable car. Here are some ways to approach a car with some easy beginner mods.

Preformance:
-Repalce exhaust components with larger better flowing pipes and a better flowing muffler. (all just bolts and rubber hangers and an oxygen sensor)
-A better flowing air filter and intake system (once again all just turning bolts)
-Replace brake pads with better track pads (a little bit more time but more bolting)
-strut bar (if you buy one there will most likely be a diagram showing where to put it but it goes across the engine bay and bolts to top of suspension)
-better spark plugs and wires

Exterrior
-Wheels and tires (you know how to change a tire don't you?)
-small spoiler (measure to make sure the mounitng points will have the spoiler centered, use a drill coat the holes with a sealer such as silicone and pop the trunk and bolt it on from underneath also connect any 3rd taillight/breaklight wires
-headlights (unplug, remove rubber housing, retaining clip, and bulbe, replace with a Silviastar white or blueish headlight instilation is reverse of removal)
-tail lights (buy aftermerket tail light, open trunk move away carpeting and remove nuts and bolts take out tail light, re install)
-marker lights and turn signals (replace bulbs in turning signals, markers, and tails and brake if desired with LEDs of appropriate color for brighter quicker flashing light)
-remove any body trim and factory pinstriping (I'm not sure about the 626 but many Mazdas use a 2 sided adhesive for trim that can be removed with pinstrip remover)
- light to dark window tinting (have professional install)

Comfort
-replace audio components such as head unit and speakers also recomend the adition of an amplifier and a capacitor (many supliers install too)
-have an aphoulstry shop replace cloth interrior with leather if not alrady done
-replace front seats with ones containing heaters and power adjustment
-new shifter *** boot and pedals if desired
-put some footwell lighting in and wire to be on when doors are open
-a carbon or wooden dashboard dressup kit (double sided adhesive)
-convert to power windows, mirrrors, locks, antennae, and any other non power items.

There is much more you can do but those are just 3 approaches for 3 different peopel wanted 3 different kinds of 626s. You can mix and match or do more expensive harder mods in place of those.