Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Just bought a Mazda-Want to add subs and have questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Default Just bought a Mazda-Want to add subs and have questions

Hi, I just bought my 2004 Mazda6 this weekend. It has the bose sound and honestly I am not impressed with the sound quality at all. I love the car though its sweet!!

I currently have two subs, two amps, a headunit, and a sirius radio (was plugged directly into the cd-changer slot on my headunit) that I pulled from my old car. I need a little direction to get started installing this. Is it possible to wire this equipment (including the sirius receiver) into the back of the 6-disc cd changer? Will the cd changer become obsolete if I install an aftermarket headunit instead above it near the dash? I saw one post about a JL convertor that treats the stock radio like an aftermarket radio, but couldn't find anything else on it. I would love to keep the 6 disc changer, but would rather have subs and better speakers if it came down to it.

Any direction as how to go about this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Default RE: Just bought a Mazda-Want to add subs and have questions

You do realize you already havea sub with the Bose system. It's in your spare tire well.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:29 AM

No, I did not realize that. The sound system sounds very lacking. I had to turn the fader to -4 (to the rear) in order to hear anything from in the back. The bass is all crackly and it does not sound or feel like I have a sub. I was suprised it was bose when I heard it..because they are top quality! I had two powerful 12" subs in my previous car as well as amped crossovers in the front and 6x9s in the back. i am not an audio guru but I know a little.. it just doesn't sound right..I know it could be a lot better. I am not set on installing the two subs that I have but I want it to sound better, any advice?

Old 05-05-2007, 09:24 AM

Is the sound system really lacking or does it just not vibrate the whole car and the ones around it?

That is one of my pet peeves, so you will get no help from me[:@]

Old 05-06-2007, 12:50 PM

If it sounds "crackly" like you say- theres a great chance the speakers are blown. That would be my guess

Old 06-20-2007, 09:38 AM

or perhaps your perception of "good sound" is not the perception of good sound shared by many of the middle aged guys on this forum that used to play the car audio game. I personally ran a stereo shop in Pittsburgh for 3 years, worked there for 6, and i have gone from a CRX pushing 139.6 out of 2 JL 10w1-8's in a 2.5 cu.ft. ported box with an Orion XTR275 to a Cougar pushing 4 Premier 12's on an Orion XTR2150. Back then...that sounded good to me. Granted the CRX also had a FLAT RTA and scored an unofficial 40 in the shop the day before a show. At the show I got a 37 (missed one point...the first point in an IASCA sanctioned event would knock your score by 3 pts). The CRX sounded GOOD...AND it thumped.

I now have a Grand Touring 5, and i'm thinking a single 8 or 10 in a molded fiberglass enclosure tucked into the back right panel will be just groovy. The system just needs a little support.

Bose systems are typically NOT bass heavy...they have JUST enough bass to satisfy mainstream. They are NOT for bassheads, and SHOULD NOT BE OPERATED BY BASSHEADS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. There's something bad that happens when you try to make a 6.5 inch sub do what a pair of 12's should do. I say gut your 6, take out the back seats, put in a wall of 6 15's in a wedge, and run it all with PPI.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:43 AM

get a bigger sub is your looking for some vibrations in the car. 1 12" sub can do the trick