New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Door ajar light?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 07:25 PM
Default Door ajar light?

Hi there, I've recently purchased a 2009 Mazda 6 from some sleazy autosales place. Although it was a sleazy place, I got a pretty good deal on a car with a PRETTY sweet engine.

The only problem is-- The door ajar light is constantly on. Within the first few days of having the vehicle, I've had it die on me a few times, but it was because the interior light on the inside of my doors were on and I could not get them to go out. (Because a door is "ajar.") I pulled the bulbs out, thinking that could solve my problem but it still drained my battery so much that the car wouldn't crank up. I eventually pulled the fuse for my interior lights, which also goes to my radio, so that's how I've been driving for the past two weeks.

I did take the car back to the sleazy autosale place, in which they had a sleazy mechanic take apart my driverside door and tell me it had been a door latch assembly problem. I decided to take it to a mechanic that I usually use, but turns out he had no idea what was causing the issue. Many other mechanics in my surrounding (Rural area) didn't have the technology to read even the check engine codes on my vehicle, so instead of bouncing from mechanic to mechanic, I decided to take my car to the nearest Mazda dealer ship. (1.5 hr drive. &#128580

They figured out the wiring harness was split in the door (Visual split, something I overlooked.) and that they would repair the wiring instead of replacing the entire wiring harness. JUST FOR THAT REPAIR, it would have been $380, not considering the rear brake pads I needed. I ended up walking out after paying the $135 diagnostic fee with knowing what the problem was now.

I've been looking up on just the wiring harnesses and they don't seem pricey at all ($50), considering the guy was really trying to talk me out of it, saying that it would be the priciest option.

Would replacing the wiring harness itself help the issue, you think? Or could I cause some more damage to my vehicle? Should I take it back to an auto mechanic since I know the deep rooted issue and get them to do it?

Thanks for reading,
Jerrianne

Old 04-14-2018, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Where abouts is the split wire in the harness? It maybe repairable on its own?

Old 04-14-2018, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Where abouts is the split wire in the harness? It maybe repairable on its own?
The wire is the yellow and black wire. When the mechanic took apart my door, he reconnected the wires and the interior door's light came on, but the door ajar light did not go off after shutting the door. After that was done, the mechanic assumed it was only the light's wire and clipped off his connectors and the wire is even shorter now so there is no way i can repair it on it's own without lengthing it.