Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

STick shift help

Old 09-09-2007, 01:42 AM
Default STick shift help

First of all I would like to say HI, I'm a new member of the mazda family. I recent brought the mazda5 5 spd sports wagon? its an 06 with 14k on the meter.

anywhooo this car is my first manual car so I just have a few questions that need to be answered by some experts.

1.how does everyone shift into first from a dead stop?

do you guys slowly let go of the cluth and let it grasph it self into first gear with out gas?? (when i do this my car slowly feels like its vibrating, im not sure if its good for the car, SO as soon as i feel the shaky grumbling car i start to give it some gas and slowly let out the clutch)

or is it you rev it to 1K rpm then slowly let out of the clutch as soon as you pass the grab point thats when u start to accell even more?

Im really confused. I want to know properly how to do this so I dont end up messing up my car in the long run.

2.btw are the clutches under warrantee?
- ive stalled the car about 10 times total so far. I plann to stall it about 5 more times, not because i want to but because I'm still learning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, please the more the info the better.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:12 AM
Default RE: STick shift help

As far as gearing down into first and engine braking i don't. I will engine brake with all gears but first. Once i am in second and get slowed down enough i kick it in neutral and just brake normally. As far as taking off from a stop you will just have to get a feel for it. I usually feather the rpm up before i take off,maybe 1500 rpm or so. The clutch is not covered under warranty as it is a wear item like brake pads. I have seen them cover one but it's a 1 in a million chance that they would so try not to slip the clutch much. Your better off coming off the clutch too quick and stalling than slipping it.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Default RE: STick shift help

1.Ok when you say feather the gas, you mean press the gas andhold it constant so the rpm is 1.5k

2. or do you feather it as in your hit it a bit and as the rpms die you let out the clutch.

ive been doing number two, when a green light is about to turn, I blip the throttle a bit while the clutch is disengaged then i release it slowly as the rpms settle. Ive been able to catch it a couple times smoothly but most of the time I get this vibration.<----this vibration is that the clutch slipping?

how much do a 06 mazda 6 clutch cost to repair and labor? I'm locatin in the Nyc. if that helps