Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Stereo and Transmission Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Default Stereo and Transmission Questions

1. Is there a forum or link somone can share to help me remove the factory stereo from my 07 Mazda 6i so I can install an FM modulator?

2. My car seems to shift hard between 3rd and 4th gear. It has 42,000 miles on it. Any ideas?

Thanks for any input.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:28 AM

Heres some instructions on how to remove the factory stereo:

1. Remove your cup holder. Easiest way is to pull up closest to the E-Brake handle, (with it pulled up), and then remove it from the clips that connect it to the shifter bezel in front of it.
2. Unscrew your shift ****, (shift in to neutral, make sure you keep the parking brake engaged) and pull up the bezel. There will be a few connectors/harnesses, release those and you can remove that bezel out of the way.
3. There are 2 screws (Phillips) in the front of the radio that hold it in place, remove those.
4. Pop out your glove box by pushing in on the sides to rotate it down, and theres a 3rd bolt that holds the radio in on the side that you can access through the hole once your glove box is pulled down. You'll probably need a flash light to see it. Best to loosen this, then finish removing it with your hand as it falls down and out of reach very easily.
5. Once you've done that, pull it straight out, and disconnect all the harnesses and you can pull the console all the way out.

Hope this helps you.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:28 PM

you forgot to mention the two screws behind the temp and vent ***** but thanks all the same?

Originally Posted by zoomzoom6chick
Heres some instructions on how to remove the factory stereo:

1. Remove your cup holder. Easiest way is to pull up closest to the E-Brake handle, (with it pulled up), and then remove it from the clips that connect it to the shifter bezel in front of it.
2. Unscrew your shift ****, (shift in to neutral, make sure you keep the parking brake engaged) and pull up the bezel. There will be a few connectors/harnesses, release those and you can remove that bezel out of the way.
3. There are 2 screws (Phillips) in the front of the radio that hold it in place, remove those.
4. Pop out your glove box by pushing in on the sides to rotate it down, and theres a 3rd bolt that holds the radio in on the side that you can access through the hole once your glove box is pulled down. You'll probably need a flash light to see it. Best to loosen this, then finish removing it with your hand as it falls down and out of reach very easily.
5. Once you've done that, pull it straight out, and disconnect all the harnesses and you can pull the console all the way out.

Hope this helps you.