Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Security Indicator keeps flashing??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:36 PM

I purchased a 2014 Mazda 6 sedan in May 2014. The problem with the security indicator light I just noticed today. It keeps flashing after I stop the engine. It doesn't matter if the doors are locked or not. I'm worried about draining the battery too.

I plan to call the local dealer in the morning.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by sarphen
I purchased a 2014 Mazda 6 sedan in May 2014. The problem with the security indicator light I just noticed today. It keeps flashing after I stop the engine. It doesn't matter if the doors are locked or not. I'm worried about draining the battery too.

I plan to call the local dealer in the morning.
I called the dealer about the flashing security indicator light. My salesperson said that is normal. And not to worry about draining the battery.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

Completely normal. However you must always lock your car as failing to do so will cause a rapid drain of the battery over a week or so.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:24 AM
Default security indicator light

Since yesterday the security indicator light on my 2014 Mazda CX5 flashes when the car is turned off. My back door will not open & now today when I drive it, the engine light comes on. I have no alarm system. Any suggestions?

Old 03-09-2016, 06:53 PM

Blinking Red Security Light, Normal. When it starts flashing rapidly, that indicates a programing issue.

beebee, 2000 MPV, The keys are programed to the PCM, there is not a separate immobilizer to replace or purchase. You will however, need to have the dealer program it. Why the security light is not rapidly flashing to indicate un-programed key is a different problem that may or may not clear up with programing. Could even be a bad bulb.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator

I assume your CX-5 is still under warranty? If so just book it in with your dealership.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:01 PM

I have a 2004 Mazda 3 that only has a little over 20,000 miles on it...I just started getting an idiot light (security indicator light) that my local dealer says requires re-chipping the ignition security system.... does this ring a bell? I've read the previous answers that basically say "not to worry", but that doesn't agree with the dealer....Which is right? Is the dealer trying to scam me?

Old 04-10-2017, 06:27 PM

I have a 2013 Mazda 3 changed battery and now the security is stuck on and it won't recognize my advanced key. Has anyone else been able to fix this without towing to dealerships

Old 04-12-2017, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

Which battery did you change? Car battery or remote battery?

Have you tried your spare key?

Old 11-18-2017, 11:55 AM
Default 2008 maz 6

Originally Posted by Level390
Think I have the solution for you

(The one with the flashing warning light of a red car and the black key in the middle)

This light has multiple purposes and relates to the security system for the car. Flashing is the only way the security system can communicate with the driver that something is wrong. Drivers think its "normal" but it isn't.

If the key has been removed from the ignition and it flashes one every two seconds it is advising the driver that there is a problem with the back-up battery that runs the alarm system & alarm siren.

Ordinarily the siren is connected to the main car battery and it uses that for power. As a security measure, the siren also has an emergency back-up battery, so if power is cut from the main car battery, the security system will still operate.

However this battery dies after about 5 to 7 years

So when it does, it sends a signal to the warning light in the dash to advise the driver that the back-up battery in the security system needs replacing. This is a b###h of a job because usually the security system is hidden in the wheel arch or some other inaccessible place (of security reasons, obviously)

Strictly speaking, there is nothing wrong with the security system, its still working normally. However if a thief cuts power to the main battery, and the back up battery has run flat, then the security siren wont operate

As a precaution, drivers should get the security (back up) battery replaced. Parts and labour, about £170

Hope this helps

would this drain the battery? the battery draining started a week ago and today when my husband tried charging it, the horn beeping started.