General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What's wrong with the Security Indicator Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Default What's wrong with the Security Indicator Light

Parkedmy 2006 Mazda3 in the garage last nightand after turning engine off and removing the key from the ignitionI noticed theSecurity Indicator Light flashing. Before going to bed I check again and still the same thing,flashing. This morning before going to work I notice the light was off, no more flashing and no problem starting the engine. Noweverything is back to normal, the flashing is gone (so far)...huumm. I'm using theoriginal ignition key that came with the car, not a copy.
Does anybody knows what's going on? It is safe to drive? Will it get worse?..[sm=feedback.gif]....... The manual said to consult Mazda Dealer but they probably keep the car the whole day to let me know and I need the car for my everyday commute.
Thanks in advance!

Old 04-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: What's wrong with the Security Indicator Light

In my '04 3, it flashes every 2 secs whenever the car is not running. This is normal.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:52 AM

Thank you very much to (virgin 1) the only onewho responded to my question. I guess everybody else didn't care and ignoredit or maybe they don't know the answer like me or just "to busy" to answer a dumb question.......Anyhow, I tought this forum suppose to help Mazda owner's, regarless of what kind of question you're asking (difficult or dumb). I'm a women and new to this forum andI don't know nothing about cars, I just depend on mechanics/tecnicians orthe Dealer and who knows what kind of story they tell you just to make $$$$.
Once again, thanks to(virgin1) for letting me know that the flashing light is normal after theignition is off. I later found out from somebody elseon eBaythat is alsofor secuity reasons.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

You'rewelcome YBY.

It isn't wise though to trust anyone you don't know that has something to sell. And the car business is certainly no exception to that rule.There's a lot of pressure these days on these people to increase their sales every month. It's not an easy business to be in from the other sideeither, I can tell you.

However,that said I'd suggest you learn a bit about it somechanics and dealerships won't be able to take advantage of you as easily. They don't call 'emstealerships for nothing.I've been behind other customers in linesthat I knew where being taken... sold things their car really didn't need.I havehad these experiences mostly at the franchised independents (i.e. Good Year shops, Firestoneshops, various brake shops and Midas Muffler shops.)It ain't easy bein' a customer in one of these places either.A little knowledge can go a long way to help you avoid these ripoffsin the future.It's a very harsh and competitive business.

You are welcome here, as is everybody!! We are a friendly, fun loving bunch and most questions don't go unanswered for long. We have a pretty knowledgeable base of members.
I myself had to read your question several times before I understood exactly what you were trying to ask. But had I not gotten back to you right away, I'm sure someone else would have.

Anyway, don't get discouraged, and Welcome!!

Old 04-05-2008, 05:25 AM
VSL

It is 4/5/08 at 3:25 a.m., and I just joined to answer YBYToyota's question. I have owned my 01 Tribute over seven years and never knew about this forum. Idid join anotherforum several months ago though (for example, Townhall-talk.edmunds.com is another forum). Anyway . . .

I strongly suspect that you are referring to Mazda's Securilock Passive Anti-theft System, or engine immobilization system. In my manual, this is found under "Controls and Features." In short, when your engine is turned off, your car and key light will flash every two seconds. My Tribute has it also. It flashes 24/7 as long as the engine is off. Non-Mazda owners think I have an alarm system when they see this flashing light, so I am glad it flashes. Your CODED key disarms the flashing light when you turn on the engine.

I agree with Virgin1. Don't be too harsh that no one responded quickly. I, for one, do not plan to log onto this site daily. And I noticed that you posted on Thursday (close to the weekend). Heck, I should be asleep now. On the other site, someone responded to me two weeks later. And I read it one month after that! Now that you are comfortable with Virgin1's reply, you may no longer log on to see this reply. Isimply wanted you to know that fellow Mazda owners do care.

To anyone: my 01 Tribute odometer backlight is out. Does anyone know which fuseamp ratingand location number replaces it? I cannot find this info in my manual. Removing fuses is not easy; I thought of removing each one to test. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

VSL,
Thanks for your reply, and Welcome to the forum!!

If it's only your odometer, then it is probably a bulb, or in the case of the 3 series, an LED that needs replacing. Though I am not familiar w/the Tribute series I doubt that one light in the instrument panel would have it's own separate fuse?
Does it have the electroluminescent lighted gauges?