Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

replacing the headlight bulbs in 2011 Mazda6!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 12:54 PM
Default replacing the headlight bulbs in 2011 Mazda6!!!!

I love this car. I've had it for three years and NEVER had a single problem, despite driving the heck out of it and beating it up on nasty New Mexico roads. (110K miles in 3.5 years). I follow manufacturer's maintenance and service recommendations religiously.
However, I think I've run into my first issue, albeit a minor one. I have a burned out drivers side low-beam headlight bulb. And changing it is impossible if one does not have the hands of a three year old.
The dealer wants $200 to change both low-beam bulbs. That's just for labor. He says the front fascia and other things have to be removed and/or moved to access the tight fit. That seems ridiculous, but then again, every car has a design issue. I think I found mine.
My brother in law thinks he can do it. I think not!
I have two new OEM low-beam bulbs from the dealer parts dept...is this something I can do easily, with regular tools, or is it incredibly involved and I need to pony up the cash and have it done right?
Any help would be appreciated. First time on the forum, and with two Mazdas, I know I'll be logging in here often. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:28 PM

Labor time is less than half an hour. Maybe try another repair shop.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hixx
Labor time is less than half an hour. Maybe try another repair shop.
What's your procedure?
I had a hell of time with my 2006.
Small skinny hands does help!

Old 04-08-2015, 03:14 PM

I have not done one. Just looked up the labor time on Alldata. It pays .4 for one bulb and .7 for both.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:21 PM

wow. Wish I read this before. I just bought a HID lights kit to replace the low beam headlights myself. I thought I could do it. Now I'm having second thought.

Oh well, I'll find out.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

This is what it say's in the workshop Manual.

Halogen Type

Low-beam

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the fasteners and slightly bend back the mudguard.

3. Disconnect the connector.

=====================================

I can't remember changing a bulb in this model. Maybe its like the CX-7 & you reach up thru the wheel arch after peeling back the plastic guard liner.

Otherwise its pretty easy to remove the bumper & then the headlight. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver, 8mm & 10mm socket, smallish flat blade screwdriver.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:00 PM

got it done. Removed part of the mudguard (as suggested above) and did it through the wheel wells. A royal pain without a lift but it got done.
Thanks.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by kpl1228
got it done. Removed part of the mudguard (as suggested above) and did it through the wheel wells. A royal pain without a lift but it got done.
Thanks.
I only had to move the fuse box a little to the left on the2015 Mazda 6 and was able to sneak my hands through and got the HID install. I'm not a handy kind of guy so I sort of did a half fast job with the install. I used XenonDepot's H11 Xtreme HID kit with German Philips 4300K bulbs.

I did the backup light too, replaced with LED.

Last edited by Koki; 04-12-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Koki
I only had to move the fuse box a little to the left on the2015 Mazda 6 and was able to sneak my hands through and got the HID install. I'm not a handy kind of guy so I sort of did a half fast job with the install. I used XenonDepot's H11 Xtreme HID kit with German Philips 4300K bulbs.
I did same thing to change a bad bulb on my 2006, but my hands did not co-operate, the mechanic was able to do it for me.

However, originally removed bumper assy to install HID's, as passenger side not as accessible.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:43 PM

so I removed part of the mudguard to get it done, but now I need to replace several of those body clips/screws that hold the mudguard on. Totally busted them up.
Is there an official parts number or part description for those clips for the Mazda6? I need to order them online because I'm in the boonies and nowhere near a Mazda dealer. And I'd like OEM parts. Thanks all. I'm having a tough time finding the right part online for some reason.

Last edited by kpl1228; 05-18-2015 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: replacing the headlight bulbs in 2011 Mazda6!!!!