Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Regular drop in fuel economy Mazda 6 sport 2.2d

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 05:34 AM
Default Regular drop in fuel economy Mazda 6 sport 2.2d

Hi guys,

I have had my Mazda 6 Sport estate 2.2d for a few months now (2014 model). I have noticed that it will consistently demolish the fuel in my tank every few hundred miles.

For example... I had a 40mpg reading that would fluctuate up and down by 0.1/0.2 depending on where and how I was driving. Then after say 300 or so miles... it will eat my fuel like a kid eating sweets for about 15 miles or a day or so, dropping my mpg to like 38mpg in the space of an hour. Then it settles back down for a few hundred miles... they kicks off again dropping my mpg to 36mpg. I hope it doesnt keep doing this....

The range on my fuel will go from say 200 miles til empty to 140 miles in the space of driving about 10 miles.

Anyone now why this is happening? Should it be happening? Is there something wrong??

Old 12-05-2017, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Have you reset the MPG average after buying the car?
Do you reset it after filling up each time?
Distance to empty calculations in Mazda's are weird when you get under 1/4 tank. There is no relearn equation. It just does its own weird calculations.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:58 AM

Yeah I reset everything when I bought it. I just cant fathom any reason why I have had an average mpg of around 40 only fluctuating up and down slightly. Then all of a sudded for about 10 miles or a day or so it plummets and eats a **** load of fuel. My driving is only commuting to the same place every day since I bought it.

At the time this happens my i-Stop also stops working if that is relevant? But that is temperamental as it is anyway.

Old 02-12-2022, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Havors
Yeah I reset everything when I bought it. I just cant fathom any reason why I have had an average mpg of around 40 only fluctuating up and down slightly. Then all of a sudded for about 10 miles or a day or so it plummets and eats a **** load of fuel. My driving is only commuting to the same place every day since I bought it.

At the time this happens my i-Stop also stops working if that is relevant? But that is temperamental as it is anyway.
Hi would love some clarity on this as I’m having the EXACT same problem with my 2013 Wagon. Ate 80km of range in the space of 20km. Is the car charging something? It’ll use over twice as much fuel for a short period of time.

Old 03-24-2022, 12:38 PM

Wish I could shed some light on this but have started to experience the same thing myself in a recently purchased, but 2nd hand, 2013 2WD model, I was struggling to find out if this was a common issue or not.

As mentioned, active MPG plummets for a fair few miles. It kicked in today having only happened previously a week or so ago and my cruising speed giving me ~50mpg suddenly dropped to about 26MPG. I could be doing 50mph in 4th or 5th and not get better that mid 20s when I would usually get high 40s to 50s. The whole time watching my average MPG which has been carefully built up to ~40mpg or so dropping down to the mid 30s

I had wondered whether, due to my limited mileage, it was some kind of 'self clean' thing for the DPF (I'm far from mechanical enough to know if this is a thing or not LOL). I'm still within my warranty so will follow it up just in case. The only thing that's impossible to know for sure is whether it is actually guzzling gas or if it's just some weird computer glitch while it's trying to figure out what's left in the tank and how far you can get on it

Old 03-24-2022, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by dirtyvest
Wish I could shed some light on this but have started to experience the same thing myself in a recently purchased, but 2nd hand, 2013 2WD model, I was struggling to find out if this was a common issue or not.

As mentioned, active MPG plummets for a fair few miles. It kicked in today having only happened previously a week or so ago and my cruising speed giving me ~50mpg suddenly dropped to about 26MPG. I could be doing 50mph in 4th or 5th and not get better that mid 20s when I would usually get high 40s to 50s. The whole time watching my average MPG which has been carefully built up to ~40mpg or so dropping down to the mid 30s

I had wondered whether, due to my limited mileage, it was some kind of 'self clean' thing for the DPF (I'm far from mechanical enough to know if this is a thing or not LOL). I'm still within my warranty so will follow it up just in case. The only thing that's impossible to know for sure is whether it is actually guzzling gas or if it's just some weird computer glitch while it's trying to figure out what's left in the tank and how far you can get on it
After doing a bit of research I can confirm it is the DPF doing a self clean. Would be good if the car had a way of telling you that it was doing a clean or a way to postpone it if you knew it wouldn’t finish cleaning before your journey had finished. DPF clean kicks in when it’s 40% full and should usually last 10 minutes and kick in every 300-500km.