Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

Mazda 2 2018 MPG (miles per gallon)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 01:59 PM
Default Mazda 2 2018 MPG (miles per gallon)

Hi, I’m new to the forum and I’ve just got a new Mazda 2 GT sport 2018, on my dash it’s saying that the MPG is 44.8 but from what I can see online it’s meant to be 50+ just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with this car for fuel consumption.

Thanks for any help!

Old 08-23-2018, 08:22 AM

Congratulations on your new purchase. It should be a great vehicle for years to come.

First thing that needs to be kept in mind is the difference in calculating miles per gallon in different countries. The size of a gallon varies as does the quality of gas from country to country. My son gets 40 miles per US gallon in our 2016 Mazda 2 Sedan (Scion iA in the US) and I consider this incredibly high. I think it is rated 31 City/40 Highway and 34 combined. You should get roughly the mileage advertised in your country if other vehicles get roughly what is advertised.

Mileage can be way off on the first few tanks and especially the first tank for a new car so I would not worry about it too much yet. The first tank may have included test drives at the dealership with a lot of idling.

I would also check the mileage the old fashion way. Fill up the tank, reset the trip computer and when you buy gas next, divide the miles driven by the gallons to refill the tank. I have seen computers consistently wrong in the past, but I have not checked the computer in either of our current generation Mazdas.

If you are not getting around the advertised, go back to the dealer with your concern.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:04 PM

Often new cars do run higher fuel consumption until they've done some mileage.
If you've come from a bigger engined vehicle you may just be a little heavier on the accelerator or if it's a sport and has a louder exhaust note this also can encourage more spirited driving and higher fuel readings.
Do all the previous suggestions in this thread especially keeping a record of your mileage and fuel input, I never trust the car companies readings.
I use an iOS app which I tap into at each fill. It gives amongst a lot of other info' accurate fuel consumption figures.

Drive like you have an egg between your foot and accelerator and see the difference 🤣