Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Few questions from a new owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Default Few questions from a new owner

So I've searched the threads here and couldn't find other people who asked this/other people who said this.Any help would be appreciated.

I purchased a 2008 Mazda 3 S Sport.

- Is it possible to obtain a switchblade style key/remote? I have found information saying it works with the mazda3speed, but can't find anything about the mazda3.

-To personalize my car a little more, I would like to change the shift **** (Automatic). However, am having difficulties locating information about removing the current one. Tips?

-Can someone provide a picture of what a 07/08 Mazda 3 looks like with a bra or other protective cover for helping keep rock dings at a minimum?

Thanks in Advance
Shifty

Old 08-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Few questions from a new owner

Flip key cliff-notes: US '04-'06 = YES. US '07+ (including MS3's) = NO.

Getting a working flip key depends entirely on your location. If you're in the US then you're, unfortunately, out of luck. Flip keys will work for '04-'06 US models, however in 2007 Mazda changed the KEU system and there aren't any flip remotes which can be programmed to the new KEU. Someone even tried replacing the KEU with a Canadian one and that wouldn't work either as it confused some other electrical components. If you're in Canada then you should be able to get a flip key which works as the MS3 comes with a flip key up there.

No idea on the ATX shift ****.

For the bra I don't have any pictures, but I personally would go with one of the clear bras. No worries about removing it when washing, or of stuff getting under it and scratching the paint.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

First off, what's the big deal w/flip keys? I have used them and don't particularly like them. They open up in my pocket and perhaps because I am left-handed, are not that convenient to use either. I always find it's in the wrongside in order to flip the key portion out? Then you have this big hacken thing sticking out of the ignition switch. And Spots is right!! From everything I've seen,no flip key for the 07-08's has worked.
My opinion, don't bother.
I believe the ATX shift **** just screws off like an MTX **** does. No release button so it should.
I also agree w/Spots about the bra. They are old technology and don't work all that well. As he suggests, look into getting a clear bra which should be much better. I wish I had known about them when I bought mine. The stone chips are bad!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Shifty

So I've searched the threads here and couldn't find other people who asked this/other people who said this.Any help would be appreciated.

I purchased a 2008 Mazda 3 S Sport.

- Is it possible to obtain a switchblade style key/remote? I have found information saying it works with the mazda3speed, but can't find anything about the mazda3.

-To personalize my car a little more, I would like to change the shift **** (Automatic). However, am having difficulties locating information about removing the current one. Tips?

-Can someone provide a picture of what a 07/08 Mazda 3 looks like with a bra or other protective cover for helping keep rock dings at a minimum?

Thanks in Advance
Shifty

If the Clear Bra job is done right you shouldn't even be able to see it, and in a pic the chances are even less to be able to see it. I have done a few and seen many more done. It looks very clean just make sure you have the car waxed before you get it done. All you see is a very fine line where it goes across the hood and down the fenders.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:22 AM

I think the shift **** does just screw off. Why not ask the Mazda dealer's parts guy. They usually know such esoterica and probably have one on the shelf they can look at. As for the bra: I've never seen one or used one that didn't ruin the paint to a greater or lesser degree. Save a few bucks and have the stone chips touched up once a year or so. It will look better than the repaint you will need from the bra constantly rubbing on the paint. Maybe someone has developed a bra that won't do this - if so I would like to know about it too.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

virgin, I actually have a flip key and love it. It's nice to not have several things jangling around, and I usually just disconnect the flip key from the rest of my keys and only carry that around. Then again I'm a righty. :P Also I'm not saying that regular bras don't work..... they do a really good job. The trick is that they require a certain amount of attention to keep them from screwing up the paint and most people aren't willing to do that extra bit and think they can just throw them on the car.

+1 to what Travis said about not being able to see the clear bra. Even less so if you spring for one of the full hood protectors vs. just the front.

Mazdatkb, I know people who have used regular bras and not marred their paint at all. The secret? Remove the thing when washing the car, wash the bra and then make sure everything is dry prior to reinstalling it. If you have never seen a clear bra then go check out some tint shops and see if they can show you an example as it won't screw the paint up at all.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

found a picture.

Name:  Mz3.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  37.2 KB