Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

New to Mazda, few questions before purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Default New to Mazda, few questions before purchase

Hey guys, I have a few questions before purchasing a Mazda 3. I'm new to this forum, hopefully my question is in the right place. I did search beforehand, didn't quite find what I'm looking for.

1. I'm looking at an 05-08 Mazda 3 automatic. I know that there is a 2.0 offered in the sedan, mated to a 4-speed auto, and the 2.3 sedan and hatch come with a 5-speed auto (unless I'm mistaken). My question is about fuel economy. I do a LOT of driving, and I'm wondering if there is a noticeable difference in fuel economy between the 3 cars (2.0 sedan/2.3 sedan/hatch) assuming all else is the same? It seems like a 2.3 with a 5-speed would net about the same gas mileage, but that's just theory. So what kind of differences can I expect?

I see that tire wear is a common issue with the M3 due to rear camber, I'm ok with that. But what other issues/gremlins/gripes should I look out for, or things I should be looking at when checking out cars for purchase. For example, I come from the Subaru scene, I had a heavily built WRX and know that there are certain quirks/things to look for when buying a used one. What say you about the M3?

Also, any general advice would be appreciated. Thanks for any help!

Brandon

Last edited by brandonem; 08-13-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:24 PM

I just purchased a 07 2.3L hatchback yesterday. After much research I also found myself falling into the Mazda family. I will post my MPG as I get results as I also drive a lot (500+ miles per week). I am 1/2 city and 1/2 highway driving, so the results should be pretty accurate.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:51 PM

initial MPG was 26MPG. I drive 1/2 highway and 1/2 city. But I was also zooming around a lot, 100+ MPH several times... I'll see how it improves over the next week or so after I get the new-ness out of my system!

Old 08-28-2013, 10:23 PM

Thank you for the response.

On a forum this large, I expected a lot more response.... On NASIOC, this would be 5 pages long by now!

Either way, we found a great deal on a car we felt good about (from dealing with and getting to know the owner).

2008 Mazda 3, 2.0 manual transmission, 64k miles, in GREAT shape, with power everything- $6,000 even. Love the car, actually has a bit of personality, which I haven't experience since I sold my beloved WRX.

I'm having a few evap issues, but I'll take that to the proper forum.

By the way, for the next person asking, I got 30.5mpg my first tank, with 60% highway. The city portion of that tank was stop/go, all with A/C (Bakersfield, CA) and the highway portion was climbing over the mountains to Los Angeles and back, with stop-go traffic. Not bad!!!

My second fill-up was 100% city with 90% using A/C, with 25mpg exactly.

I really like this car, for a zoom-around-town-to-see-clients car.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:01 AM

That sounds about right. My '11 2.0/automatic (5-speed) has gotten as low as 22 and as high as 38.7.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:21 PM

I have a 2008 2.0l sedan with manual. I get a combined 32-35 mpg.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:55 AM

We got an 09 4spd. auto 2.o l engine. My daughter bought it new in 09 and wanted a drop top Saab so we took over payments on the Mazda.
We constantly have gotten 28 to 31 on the open highway and 26 is the lowest around town. The rear end was out of alignment from the factory and it had a tire whine, so the first thig I did was a 4 wheel allignment. Took most of the factory camber out of the rear end and no tire wear. It actually corners better when in the mountians and on winding roads. It don't get babbied when I dive it. It is a job to keep it under 90 on the interstate. Also makes my wife want to go to the bathroom when I'm driving in the Mts.
My daughter now has a 12 Mazda that looks like an suv with a 2.o turbo and 5 speed auto. It gets about 26 mpg but don't have the get up and go of my 3.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Banned
Arrow

Originally Posted by donofwon
It don't get babbied when I dive it.
Diving it when going through mountains is not a good thing!

In other words, you don't baby it when you drive it!

Old 09-24-2013, 10:10 PM

So I've owned my 08 Mazda3 GS 5spd 2.0 for the last 6 years and it hasn't failed me once. I have owned it since brand new and even to this day I am getting 700km per tank even with 222000km on the car. There have been issues along the way but nothing to serious. One was the rear shocks. At a certain point they will **** the bed and in my case its happened twice. But they are so simple to install so if your even just partially mechanically inclined do it that way (mind you I saw you had a modded WRX so you probably know your work). Tire wear is definitely another one. Gone through many tires in it from camber wear. Roughly 60-70k on a set of tires give or take. And brakes go pretty fast. But realistically these cars are so simple to work on. The only thing I got someone else to install was my catback exhaust (switched with another guy so he got my stock exhaust and I got his full Magnaflow catback exhaust). You really will enjoy the car. But you should have got a 5spd. When I bought mine I drove the automatic and was like ok this is alright. Then I got in a 5spd and it was the best decision I ever made. You made a great choice. I have a whole lot of love for my 3 and it hasn't failed me. I have work to do on it still but realistically that car doesn't owe me a damn thing.