Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

New to Mazda, 2011 Mazda 6

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Default New to Mazda, 2011 Mazda 6

Actually not mine, but my fiancee's.

I come from a long line of Hondas and Jeeps (old AMC's, not Chrysler). I am a maint fanatic, and know a Mazda will last a lont time if taken care of. She's at 27K on this Mazda she bought last year. 4cyl automatic.

I looked at the maint schedule in the owners manual and it looks pretty straight forward EXCEPT there's no mention of changing the transmission fluid. I always driven manual equipped vehicles, so I'm scared of the automatic and how long one will last (I got 360K out of my 5speed equipped accord, sold it 5 years ago, and that guy is still driving it) I don't even see a dipstick on this 6 to check the fluid.

How often should the fluid be changed (I do 30K on the automatic equipped Accords my mom and sister own)?

What kind of fluid should be used?

Where are the drain plugs and fill hole (again, don't even see a dipstick)?

Other thing I saw no mention of was spark plugs. I'm guessing these are iridium plugs everyone is using now that last around 100K, but would like to be sure.

I normally do air filter, transmission fluid, and copper NGK plugs at 30K. Oil and filter at 5K. Everything else is a "check it and if it looks bad replace".

Thanks for any help yall can give. Want this thing to be around for a long time.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Banned

Auto tranny fluid definitely @ 30,000 miles (do not be fooled on lifetime tranny fluid with a standard rad cooler----external tranny cooler is also better).
Plugs @ 75,000 miles. If you do a lot of city driving I would do both even sooner.
I would also change your PCV valve every 2 years except the first one may last 3 years (you probably won't see that one on a service schedule either!).
Can't help you on fluid or drains.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:27 PM

Well I finally called Mazda after getting inconsistent information on when this should actually be done.

I talked to "Stephanie" at MazdaUSA and her response was "It is not listed inthe manual because there is no specific time it should be changed. The ATF should be changed when the dealer advises it, or when it becomes discolored, dark, or burned smelling"

I know she didn't come up with that policy, but that is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. A car company that has a policy of telling you to change it after it's too late!

Crazy. I'll be using my Honda/ Toyota/ Useyournoggin suggested ATF change schedule of every 30K on this thing.

I'm just floored that is the official response of a car company.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Spark plugs at 100,000kms/60,000miles. Dip stick is short & grey, look over the back of the trans & you will see it held in with a m6/10mm bolt. Check the level in park with the engine running, if its brown change it. Not sure if the GH (2008- ) has a trans filter. Only use genuine Mazda MV ATF.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Banned

THANX. Found the following to be excellent talk about fluid and life and external coolers: How often should the automatic transmission fluid... — Yahoo! Autos