Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

New 2010 M6 - Very rough, bouncy ride. Can this be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Default New 2010 M6 - Very rough, bouncy ride. Can this be fixed?

Hello,
I just bought a brand new 2010 Mazda6 Touring a few days ago, and the ride is very rough, and the seats (and the people in them) bounce around a lot. I test drove the 6 a number of times before choosing it over the 3 (the car I really, really, love) because I needed a softer ride. I don't remember this problem on any of the cars I test-drove. Anyone have ideas as to what the problem is, and if it can be fixed? I like to have some ideas/ammo before I call the dealer.
Thanks,
NN

Old 08-08-2010, 08:06 PM

Last edited by progamer24; 05-18-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by ZoomZ10
Hello,
I just bought a brand new 2010 Mazda6 Touring a few days ago, and the ride is very rough, and the seats (and the people in them) bounce around a lot. I test drove the 6 a number of times before choosing it over the 3 (the car I really, really, love) because I needed a softer ride. I don't remember this problem on any of the cars I test-drove. Anyone have ideas as to what the problem is, and if it can be fixed? I like to have some ideas/ammo before I call the dealer.
Thanks,
NN
Two possibilities (both related to the transport of your car from the factory):
  • Many manufacturers (all?) put spring blocks into the springs to prevent the car from bouncing too much during transport. Said spring blocks MUST be removed before delivery or the car will ride extremely rough.
  • All manufacturers fill the tires with a significant amount of air pressure to control bouncing. Said extra pressure MUST be reduced prior to the delivery of the car or the ride will not only be rough, but the car may experincce control difficulties at speed.
Long story short (and contrary to the post above), call your dealer now and have him take a look-see.

Keep us posted.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
Two possibilities (both related to the transport of your car from the factory):
  • Many manufacturers (all?) put spring blocks into the springs to prevent the car from bouncing too much during transport. Said spring blocks MUST be removed before delivery or the car will ride extremely rough.
  • All manufacturers fill the tires with a significant amount of air pressure to control bouncing. Said extra pressure MUST be reduced prior to the delivery of the car or the ride will not only be rough, but the car may experincce control difficulties at speed.
Long story short (and contrary to the post above), call your dealer now and have him take a look-see.

Keep us posted.

I checked the tires, and they measured in at 36 psi, instead of 32. Is that enough to make a difference? I reduced the pressure; I'll see what happens when I take her for a spin at lunchtime.

This car was driven in from another dealership out of state the night I picked it up. Would the driver hired by the dealer have noticed that spring blocks were still in place? Is there anything else that is usually adjusted or changed before the buyer takes possession of the car that I should check?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by ZoomZ10
I checked the tires, and they measured in at 36 psi, instead of 32. Is that enough to make a difference? I reduced the pressure; I'll see what happens when I take her for a spin at lunchtime.

This car was driven in from another dealership out of state the night I picked it up. Would the driver hired by the dealer have noticed that spring blocks were still in place? Is there anything else that is usually adjusted or changed before the buyer takes possession of the car that I should check?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
While 36 psi will make a small difference, the pressure I'm talking about is more like sixty or seventy psi. FWIW, I typically run 36 psi in my Mazda3 and don't notice any negative ride characteristics.

As for the kid (most likely) that drove your car in from the other dealership, it's hard to tell what he noticed while he had his iPod blasting and while he was texting his friends about the new Mazda6 he was driving.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:39 PM
zly
Angry Mazda6 - stiff suspension, rough ride

Hi,
I'm from Croatia (Europe), and I have exactly the same problem.
I bought new Mazda 6 on march 2010 (before face lift), and had been very unhappy whith ride quality.
So I changed the tires and rims from 215/50/17 to 205/60/16, (cost me additional 1200 Euro), and now ride quality seems little bit better, but I'm not satisfied enough.
Tire preasure is 32 psi, and if any spring blockers, I hope somebody noticed them until now. It is hard to believe, that type of car "family sedan" have
stiff suspension like Mazda 6. Could anything else can be wrong.
Please, let me know about your's future actions and experience.
Thanks

Old 08-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Default Bad strut

you may have a strut thats stuck.i notice when after i jack my car up sometimes ,front drivers side,the ride is real tight and the strut doesnt move. a few hard front and back brakings does it for me,i know i need struts.id take it to dealer and tell them a strut is stuck