Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

96 Protege. How I fixed my rough idle and OBD readiness monitors to SET!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Exclamation 96 Protege. How I fixed my rough idle and OBD readiness monitors to SET!

ATTENTION ALL!

For many of you who most commonly have a problem with rough idle on the older cars. For my case I had the wrost nightmare about the OBD readiness monitors on my 96 Protege. 4 of them was just NOT getting Ready! Fails the smog because of it. Got very frustrating! For so many months, I've NEVER been able to make out "What's causing those monitors to NOT be ready!" Also along with it, the problem with rough idle. "Didn't bother me too much, BUT for the smog check it DOES bothers". Also often get the CEL light showing "Fuel trim problems" and "Cyl 2 misfire". I just kept resetting the codes. So I don't have to see that annoying "check engine" light. Of course since I bought my car, those 4 OBD monitors NEVER got "ready" 5 months.

THEN (this is the INTERESTING part), after researching the web for months! I decided to check the MAF sensor! I had bought some MAF sensor cleaner, $7. I removed the top of the air cleaner assembly (just the top) out of the car. I then cleaned the hell out of the sensor, including the area of the "hot wire". Plus I cleaned the inside throttle body as well using this same cleaner. Put it back together. Also replaced the PCV hose from the valve cover to air cleaner. (Not the hose to PCV valve, the other PCV hose) I used my 96 the next day and.................

I GOT THE NICEST NEWS, A GREAT SURPRISE!!! The rough idle STOPPED!!!!!!!! My gosh!!! All those months of "scratching my head". Finally fiqured it out! And here's the BEST PART.................

As of the next day. Two of 4 OBD monitors in my 96 protege are NOW READY! Will pass smog now (since its only 2 that are not ready, if more than 2 are not ready it fails) MY GOSH! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. All those months of frustration!!! And.......

STILL NOT ONLY THAT! I have reasonable belief that the gas mileage is IMPROVED! Ever since I clean the MAF sensor.

UNBELEIVABLE! I can't beleive a LITTLE thing like that caused those HUGE problems! This is the neatest experience I had in so long!

So for my point of advice. When you clean the MAF sensor. Buy the cleaner DESIGNED for MAF sensors. Other cleaners can ruin the sensor, they have spray cleaners that say "MAF sensor cleaner". Evidently this MAF sensor is a BIG thing in a fuel injected car.

So where is the MAF sensor located at, some may ask. Well on this particular car, 96 Mazda Protege. Its the rectangular shaped box just behind the air filter area. On the air cleaner hose going to throttle body. Its not the rectangular box you're paying attention to, its what's under it, and inside the hose. When you remove the air cleaner TOP, spray on all parts of the circular part including the screen and all thin metal lines "hot wire" crossing the circular part. Don't do this while sensor is connected! Disconnect everything before working! Clean this really good and WALLA! UB STYLIN!