Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

New '06 Mazda 6 questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Default New '06 Mazda 6 questions.

I purchased an '06 Mazda 6i roughly 2 months ago, the car was purchased with 54k miles and I got it for 9.5k. So I assume not too bad on price. So far I've gotten some basic maintenance done IE alternator, brake pads, battery replacement. But I need to get my oil changed and a transmission flush. My question is that my local Mazda mechanic wants $220 for the full transmission flush, fluid, oil, and oil change. They say it's a must and my transmission fluid is brown/black so I don't know how long I can ignore that without causing harm to my car but $220 is a bit much for my wallet right now. In anyone's opinion is that a bit high? Do I need to replace the transmission filter as well or is it fine to just get a transmission flush? They are only charging $32 as a heads up on the price of the oil change. A few specs incase it helps:

'06 Mazda 6i hatchback 4 door(sedan style not wagon)
2.3L 4 Cylinder

Last thing I am pondering is some not so heavy on the wallet modifications I could do to boost HP. I read that intake is a good first MOD but just wondering some suggestions from those who have some heavy experience in MODing. I work in retail and am only 21 so mind you I can't break the bank here but wanna do a part by part system. Also if you do suggest a part, hopefully you supply a link for a place to get a nice price =)

All suggestions and opinions are highly appreciated!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:42 AM

Go to Valvoline instant oil change. Trans flush/fill will run about $60, Oil change about $30.

$220 is a complete rip-off for that service.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:24 AM

An intake will give you a slight bump in hp and give the car a nice growl on hard acceleration. Since you have the 2.3L, you won't see a lot in the ways of gains though.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:47 PM

What's the kinda price range i'm looking at for a new intake? And is there a suggestion brand to go to for a long term high quality outcome?

I headed into town today and found some merc 5 trans fluid for 4.30 a quart and might just buy 12-14 and have my mechanic friend do a flush. I talked to the local Mazda shop and they said the transmission fluid goes through a screen so I don't need to replace anything but the fluid itself. Hope they're not steering me wrong =)

Old 09-25-2009, 04:09 PM

Any Ebay intake will work for the 4cyl. Depends if you want a brand name intake or not. The V6 is a different story.

-Sheldon.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:06 PM
k

For 30,000 miles maintenance, I only paid $132 to my mechanic, including oil change, transmission oil change, air filter and cabin filter. My mechanic purchased OEM transmission oil.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Emew
I purchased an '06 Mazda 6i roughly 2 months ago, the car was purchased with 54k miles and I got it for 9.5k. So I assume not too bad on price. So far I've gotten some basic maintenance done IE alternator, brake pads, battery replacement. But I need to get my oil changed and a transmission flush. My question is that my local Mazda mechanic wants $220 for the full transmission flush, fluid, oil, and oil change. They say it's a must and my transmission fluid is brown/black so I don't know how long I can ignore that without causing harm to my car but $220 is a bit much for my wallet right now. In anyone's opinion is that a bit high? Do I need to replace the transmission filter as well or is it fine to just get a transmission flush? They are only charging $32 as a heads up on the price of the oil change. A few specs incase it helps:

'06 Mazda 6i hatchback 4 door(sedan style not wagon)
2.3L 4 Cylinder

Last thing I am pondering is some not so heavy on the wallet modifications I could do to boost HP. I read that intake is a good first MOD but just wondering some suggestions from those who have some heavy experience in MODing. I work in retail and am only 21 so mind you I can't break the bank here but wanna do a part by part system. Also if you do suggest a part, hopefully you supply a link for a place to get a nice price =)

All suggestions and opinions are highly appreciated!
You just got this car alittle over two months ago and you already need a tranny flush, alternator, battery and brakes? Did you buy it at a buy here pay here lot? I guess it wasn't a certified used car. A good car dealership usually services used cars before they put them on the lot.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:38 AM

It was at a local car dealership, I drive 40 miles to work each day one way so the 4-5k miles went by quick. The traniflush, I feel they should have done themselves but say they're not responsible and I should have looked at it before buying it and requested it so my bad. The alternator they paid to have replaced cause I refused to. Other than that it was a legit car dealership that I took out a loan to pay for this at. =(

Old 09-27-2009, 07:20 PM

At 50K you're wise to go ahead and do the fluid changes. Tranny AND brake fluid. You don't need a filter as to the best of my memory Ford says this is a lifetime filter/screen. Listen to them. Brake fluid needs to be changed every two years so if that wasn't done when they put the pads on (they're doing everything on the minimum so don't assume - if its dark rather than almost a clear honey color, they didn't change it).

I don't know where you are, but when this all came due on my wifes Sebring, the dealer came up with a big figure (they always are about twice what anyplace else is.) I went to Pep Boys and got it all done for about 1/3. They let me select my brake fluid and since the Chrysler takes special tranny fluid they were aware and used only that. I'm sure there are other service companies that can do an equally good job at a reasonal price. You need to have someone with the machine that can actually flush the system, just draining and refilling will not get barely half the fluid out.

Little personal advice. You're a young guy and have a nice car. These newer machines are all computerized and set for a delicate balance. The performance of the Mazda6 even with the four is very good. You can mess it up and end up with a worse situation than before you started by getting mods that don't really work or even damage the system. It sounds like you need dependability more than you need another 2 hp. Don't mess with it.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by hawker
Little personal advice. You're a young guy and have a nice car. These newer machines are all computerized and set for a delicate balance. The performance of the Mazda6 even with the four is very good. You can mess it up and end up with a worse situation than before you started by getting mods that don't really work or even damage the system. It sounds like you need dependability more than you need another 2 hp. Don't mess with it.
I agee. As is, the Mazda 6 is a great car IMO. Sure, there are bigger, badder, faster cars out there but so what. A safe dependable car is all you need. If you have the means to and want a car for the track, then get something else (maybe even a MPS6), but for a daily driver stick with you un-modified 6i.