Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

mechanic taken advantage of a woman 2000 Mazda MPV

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Default mechanic taken advantage of a woman 2000 Mazda MPV

I took my 2000 Mazda MPV to a mechanic to have the blower motor replaced and the flex plate replaced. When I picked up my van the check engine light was on. The mechanic said it had nothing to do with the work he had done and when he hooked it up to his machine the code P0031 came up. So I told him to go ahead and replace it.

Went back to pick it up and the check engine light was still on PLUS the ABS light was also on (which was never on before). He again said that it had nothing to do with the work he had done. Frustrated and angry, I did nottrust him to do any more work soI took my van and drove it home... only to find out that now my speedometer and odometer are not working either. AAGGGGHHHHH!

Please help. Not sure what to do. Just sank over $1,500 in this van in the last couple of days. I am afraid to take it to the Mazda Dealership for repairs because I know that it will cost me top dollar! I just want to arm myself with knowledge so that I am not taken advantage of.

Trying to figure out if I should pursue getting it fixed or sell it. At this point, a 2000 MPV is worth about $4,000 in my area - that is one that is in decent condition.

Thank you in advance!!

Old 03-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: mechanic taken advantage of a woman 2000 Mazda MPV

I feel you may be right. But he may not be trying to take advantage of you as much as he's trying to cover up his own inadequacies as a mechanic.
It's a tough one, but since he screwed up at least part of the vehicle (the speedo and odo would be my guess) he should take responsibility for fixing at least that much.
Or, take him to small claims court. File a suit against him. Is his shop a member of the local BBB?
If you spent $1.5k and are left with a car that doesn't work properly, the dealer sounds like a bargain to me.... well, not really, but you know what I mean.