Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazda 6 Timing Chain plus more problems at 50K mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 11:51 AM
Default Timing chain

Hello,

I suspect your timing chain needs replacing. If you wish to confirm this take your car to your Mazda dealer and get them to do a check.

The DPF light flashes on and off not only when the DPF requires a regen or has a fault but also when there is excessive wear in the timing chain. Since you can hear a noise from the timing chain area it sounds like the timing chain is the issue.

I had this problem on my Mazda 6 2.2 diesel. I had to have the timing chain replaced. Subsequently I did a DPF delete at Avon tuning and had the power increased at the same time. That was in July last year. That was also about 10,000 miles ago and so far all is well. You will also need to check that there is no other damage and get the injector seat washers changed for new ones. To be on the safe side you should also drop the engine sump and check that the oil intake at the bottom of the engine sump is not blocked up.
I see that Hagan autos in Northern Ireland can perform all of the services. However I have no personal experience with them.

Regards
Mark

Old 03-21-2018, 05:53 AM

Cheers for the quick reply, Mark! I suspect so, too. I'll try to have it checked with Forscan and if that doesn't work I'll take it to the official Mazda dealer and line up the credit cards..

The injector seat washers have been replaced with new ones when the engine was swapped. We also dropped the sump and checked the oil pickup after the first oil change on this engine last Monday. All nice and clean there.

The car is right at the other end of the continent (in Romania), so it's not quite handy to take it to an Irish workshop :-) but thanks for the tip, it may also be useful for others who stumble upon this topic.

Still, any idea if the engine has to come out of the car for the timing chain kit replacement?

Old 03-21-2018, 08:23 AM
Default Timing chain

As far as I know the engine does not need to be removed to change the timing chain. It is a tight fit however.

I got an estimate from Mazda for €1800 to replace the timing chain. I paid €900 and Mazda France paid the other half. This is a common issue. It is caused by an engineering design flaw. The engine injects an additional amount of diesel to clean the particle filter (DPF). The side-effect is that the engine oil becomes diluted with the diesel and the engine becomes insufficiently lubricated. This leads to accelerated wear of the engine and especially the timing chain.
It seems the only solution to this is to remove the particle filter and the program that causes the particle filter to be re-generated. This is commonly known as a DPF delete.

As I mentioned in my previous mail Avon tuning near to Bristol are able to perform this work and do a very good job.

After the mods my car so far is working well. Good luck getting your engine sorted out.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Chain replacement is done with the engine still in the vehicle.

Its not a difficult job. You must lock the camshafts & crankshaft with special service tools first. Also replace the lock washers on the crank & camshafts.

Attached Thumbnails Mazda 6 Timing Chain plus more problems at 50K mileage-cx7-timing-chain.png  
Attached Images   
Old 04-03-2018, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the replies and encouraging info!

The car has been at the Mazda shop this Monday - timing chain issue confirmed. They went so far as to recommend not to drive it back home, but either leave it with them to fix (for a ~1500€ ++ bill) or tow it. I drove it anyway, nothing changed, but obviously the problem is still there. But I'm really glad the engine doesn't need to come out of the car, saves a lot of work.
As for parts - I've been looking at the FAI kit (chains, slides, sprockets, tensioners). Some people say they're crap, but then again so is the original cam chain....any suggestions?

Cheers,
Radu

Old 05-11-2018, 02:23 AM

Hi again,

Finally got the new FAI kit fitted. Bad news though, now the value I'm seeing in For scan is even higher, 10.99 instead of 10.81 with the original kit. Maybe there is another problem?
Any ideas are appreciated, this is driving me nuts...
Cheers!

Old 06-29-2018, 03:02 AM

A big update: finally got the car sorted out and it works like a charm. I really love it and how it drives, now that it's finally OK.

And some more details to the story: the explanation for the FAI kit not working is that my dear mechanic did not even bother to mount it (at least not on my car). He did bother to charge me for it, however....seems I am like a magnet for rip-offs.
I took the car to a friend's garage and we looked inside: the chain slack was obvious, and the chain slider really did not look like new. So I bought another kit, we mounted it and immediately noticed the new chain was a really tight fit.

With high hopes we started the engine, drove around for half an hour and then did the well known 'oil change' reset. But as soon as the engine was restarted, the damn DPF light started flashing again. Checked with Forscan for "actual crankshaft/camshaft.." thingy: it was showing around 8° with hot engine, so well below the 10.5° limit (as expected) Still the damn light kept on flashing...

What to do?

And then I happend to read here:
Mazda6 P1336 fault (timing chain))
about some sort of timing chain calibration..

So I tried that, some lights started flashing in my dashboard, the engine changed sound and pace a few times, then after a couple of minutes, all came back to regular idling. I turned it off, removed the wire, then restarted the engine. Et voila: no more DPF flashing, and all is fine!

Summarizing this, I have one more question:
I'd like to do an injector calibration, but I read confusing information regarding the procedure. Some folks say it's working for the 2.2 engine, others that it only works on the 2.0 one. Any ideas?

Thanks and regards,
Radu

Last edited by radu_op; 06-29-2018 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Injector calibration should be done every 60,000kms /36,000 miles.
( as per manufacturer's service schedule)

Old 06-29-2018, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Injector calibration should be done every 60,000kms /36,000 miles.
( as per manufacturer's service schedule)
I agree, but there's a bit more to it: in my car the engine block and one injector have been changed. I am quite sure that means the calibration would need to be done kind of about now...
I was asking however, if anyone can confirm that the calibration procedure (either by wire to chassis or via Forscan) is actually working on the 2.2 MZR-CD?

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2018, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Its done via IDS ( evolution of fords scan tool) or MMDS ( Mazda Module Diagnostic System)

Quick Reply: Mazda 6 Timing Chain plus more problems at 50K mileage