Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazda 6 Timing Chain plus more problems at 50K mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Angry Mazda 6 Timing Chain plus more problems at 50K mileage

Hello

I'm new to this forum so please excuse any incorrect phrases, car terms etc... Any help greatly appreciated.

I'm current having a problem with my Mazda 6 2.3L Sport. It is in Mazda's garage at the moment with the following problems.

- Timing Chain needs replacing
- Timing Chain Adjuster need replacing
- Variable Valve timing(this word may be incorrect) pump replacing

This all came about after engine light came on and then this fault started switching off my ABS.

For a car that has only done 50,000 miles (although it is a 2002 model), is this an acceptable fault as Mazda want over £1300 to fix this (at the moment). Just an enquiry about how reasonable this is. I am pricing at alternative garages and have asked Mazda to look into fault. Although the garage are claiming they have never seen a fault like this on the model. Just really wondering where I stand with this fault.

Thanks Steve

Old 02-13-2009, 06:32 PM

I presume that as nobody has responded I have either posted this incorrectly or I should just get the work done at mazda and pay the price quoted. I don't really have a great deal of car knowledge.
Steve

Old 02-14-2009, 05:12 PM

for me it's more that i don't have a clue what to tell you. Other than that is really early for a timing chain to fail. For everything else *shrugs*

-Cameron Keffer

Old 02-14-2009, 09:35 PM

If the car is not running bad you should not have to touch the chain at all unless the chain breaks or if the motor loses oil pressure and chain skips....other than that NO....

Old 02-16-2009, 03:06 AM
Post Work on mazda

Thanks for your response, probably just going to get the work done, I'm managed to get them down to £1100 for work(still a real pain) and I will follow up the issue with Mazda after work is done, not really happy with the way they have dismissed it as just 'one of those things'. I'm was just quite surprised at this fault as I've read that the chain should last the life of the car(or at least 100K miles). However with my poor car knowledge I wasn't sure where I stood on this.

Thanks
Steve

Old 02-28-2009, 03:25 PM

Steve,

That does sound VERY premature for a timing chain failure. Perhaps Mazda's powertrain warranty would come into effect? Your car is only 7yrs old with 50k miles, so it seems like a case where Mazda would want to make it right for you. My apologies if Mazda sees it differently...but hey, 1100 pounds is still a LOT of money! Please post back with the end results, yeah? Cheers,

David

Old 03-16-2009, 03:11 PM

Thanks for all your posts..... but my problems have just got worse!
I put the car in with MAzda for the work, bit the bullet and paid up! Still planning to write to them complaining, however I'm still awaiting their official response in writing!

Anyway since getting the car back 4 weeks later it stalled very abruptly at a very busy junction(which nearly ended in a serious accident). I rolled it back into work and called the RAC. They couldn't start it so it was towed to mazda. The RAC operator did note some of my spark plugs were very loose and the engine had a lot of petrol in it. Mazda rang me back to tell me that(and please excuse exact terms as I am no car expert) 'A valve had dropped on/into the pistons'. I'm pretty sure this is not good news, especially after their reaction! At the moment they are assessing it (sending out a technician), but their mechanic is adamant that the new work/timing chain is not responsible for this. I am no expert but the car has had 7 good years with no problems and then this happens less than a month after spending 1150 pounds on the engine work!

Just thought I would pick your brains to see if anybody had any thoughts on this. I have spoke to quite a few mechanics and they cannot believe that Mazda cannot take responsibility for this. Please note I am waiting on Mazda's official response, just trying to get as much knowledge on this before they get back to me.

Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks Steve

Old 03-16-2009, 11:24 PM

dealer will back the mechanic. take complaint to mazda company. 1-800 number in owners manual. stick to your guns.

p.s. dealers hate this kind of publicity, television investigative story ???

Old 05-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Default variable valve timing (VVT) when starting engine

Have the same trouble with my Mazda 6 ('05) and well over warranty, but noise just started and thought it was orig. lifters until I read the service bulletin which despite not being my year, detailed it perfectly. called two local Mazda dealerships - one wanted over $1800 to fix and the second over $1300. Mazda bulletin indicates about 3.6 hours to fix, the first dealership quoted me 13 hours and the second 8. No wonder the bill was inflated. Service mgr. (with 20 years experience in the shop) did say, that if car didn't seem to act up, Don't mess with it. So I'm not. I would have been ok with the repair - despite the cost, if the labor hours were not so inflated. makes me feel ripped off and in this economy, I don't see me going back to either of these dealerships if this is the tact they're going to take - make it up on repair work. I'll probably be ready for a new car in a year or so, but will venture further miles to find another dealership.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:01 AM

I too would like some views on a worn timing chain. I have the new 2008 or 2009 (nearly 2 year old) Mazda 6 sport diesel with 30k miles on the clock. It is in for a service and I am told that the timing chain is worn, out of tolerance and needs replacing, which would be fine if suprisingly early, if it was covered under warranty but Mazda UK are currently refusing to cover more than half the cost becuase it is 20% over on service mileage!
Could this service overrun really be to blame or just an excuse not pay out?
If not what else might cause this?

Quick Reply: Mazda 6 Timing Chain plus more problems at 50K mileage