Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazda 6 Timing Chain plus more problems at 50K mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Default timing chain recall

I've just had the 3rd service (37,500miles) on my 2.2D 185 Mazda 6 (Feb 2009 manufactured) and have been told the car will need to go back for the timing chain to be replaced - this IS A RECALL by Mazda. There is no problem with my timing chain as far as I know, but the recall is based on engine or VIN number - I assume a faulty batch?

Hope this helps some of you

Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Default Mazda 6 - timing chain issue

Hi davehollis
Was your timing chain issue solved ok?
My March 2009, 59000 mile Mazda 6 2.2l diesel went in for a service on Monday with an independent dealer who then couldn't start it after the service - no issues in my 11 months of ownership prior to that. Independent dealer checked as he'd heard about a recall to do with the timing chain recall and found that there was one and booked it into the local Mazda dealership the next day.
Mazda dealership then spent 3 hours on diagnostic and confirmed a timing chain issue and last night quoted me £1,800 to fix it.
Mazda UK don't want to know without a detailed service history analysis - i'm going to track that down in the morning as i only have receipts, not the detailed work.
I'm seeing the Mazda dealership in the morning to discuss and will post an update.
It would be really useful to know how you got on.
Thanks
Dave

Old 02-16-2014, 06:14 AM
cpd
Default MAZDA 6 2.2 Timing Chain

I have just had the same experience my 2.2 Diesel (2010) has just been serviced and dealer has informed me that the Timing Chain is in need of changing (£1800 ish).

Unfortunately for me although i purchased the car from the main dealer and it has been serviced by them every time it is out of warranty. I am in the process of a goodwill application where i hope to only pay part of the cost.

My worry and the dealer can't answer the question is am i going to have this issue again in 3 years time with another big bill.

The dealer and Mazda themselves assure me there is no issue with timing chains on the Mazda 6 and no recall's are outstanding on the car.

I am not so sure !!

Old 03-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Default Mazda 6 2.2 185 timing chain

My DPF warning light started flashing so I took the car into a MAZDA dealership in France. (used the same garage last April for the annual service).
I was told that the Timing Chain needed replacement at a cost of 1400 euros.
I needed the car and had to agree to the work being done as they told me not to drive it.
My car was registered in February 2009 and since reading this forum I have found that a recall could have been issued for this problem.
I queried this problem with MAZDA in the UK and they informed me that my VIN reference number showed the recall "was completed in April 2013 at 42,029 miles".
Well, that was news to me!
I am now awaiting a reply from MAZDA UK to throw some more light on this information.
The work carried out in April 2013 consisted of the annual service in France and later the MOT in the UK - none of which came anywhere near to the 5 hours of labour I have been quoted by the garage in France.
The Timing Chain problem appears to be "known" by MAZDA and therefore they should be providing every assistance to their customers resolving it. I hope they do!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by CIVRAC; 03-04-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:46 AM
Default mazda 6 timing chain

Great News!!!
Called into the Mazda garage in France to deliver my car for the timing chain replacement and was told it would be done free of charge courtesy of Mazda France!
Amazing service and have had trouble free driving ever since.
Mazda UK were contacted but refused to accept that the timing chain was ever subject to a recall on my Mazda 6. They had the cheek to blame me for not having taken additional warranty insurance to cover the replacement cost!
I had about 3 differing excuses from them whilst explaining my problem and all they concentrated on was finding a way out of helping me.
Needless-to-say, all the future work on my car will be entrusted to the garage in France (I spend a few months each year there).
I am truly disgusted at the way I was treated by Mazda Uk and cannot believe how different Mazda France is.

Last edited by CIVRAC; 05-29-2014 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:04 PM

I'm sure I'm in the wrong section for this but maybe you guys can help me out on this. I have an 05 mazda 6 2.3l. The problem I'm having is its throwing a p0340 code. I've checked timing already witch is dead on an hooked a scope up to check the sync of the cam an crank also dead on. If i start the car when it's cold it'll hardly run at all, until the temp gauge moves a little or till it revs up. Once either of those things happen it runs like a champ, but as you're driving it if you lift off the gas the tach bounces all over the place ( not effecting how the engine runs though) so any thoughts would be helpful thanks

Old 06-03-2017, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by CIVRAC
Great News!!!
Called into the Mazda garage in France to deliver my car for the timing chain replacement and was told it would be done free of charge courtesy of Mazda France!
Amazing service and have had trouble free driving ever since.
Mazda UK were contacted but refused to accept that the timing chain was ever subject to a recall on my Mazda 6. They had the cheek to blame me for not having taken additional warranty insurance to cover the replacement cost!
I had about 3 differing excuses from them whilst explaining my problem and all they concentrated on was finding a way out of helping me.
Needless-to-say, all the future work on my car will be entrusted to the garage in France (I spend a few months each year there).
I am truly disgusted at the way I was treated by Mazda Uk and cannot believe how different Mazda France is.
Hello,

I live in France and have just had my Mazda 6 2.2 163bhp diagnosed with a stretched timing chain. Could you please let me know the name and location of the dealer that repaired your car please?

Best regards,
Mark

Old 06-04-2017, 02:01 PM

Hi Mark,

I used the Mazda dealership in Saintes; Palau Motors 17, 23, Rue de la Champagne, Saint Georges - Zac des Coteaux. 17810 Saint Georges Des Coteaux. Tel 05 46 93 43 44.

Good luck.

Kind regards

Old 06-05-2017, 06:45 AM
Default Thank you

Thank you for the information CIVRAC!

Old 03-20-2018, 11:02 AM

Hello everyone,

Might be a little late to bump on this topic, but here goes anyway...I've been pretty much been struggling in the R2AA Mazda (on a 2009 BL 3 series) engine hell for a few months now, and I have pretty much had it with all this!

Here's the story: first I got tricked by a German car dealer (German honesty - I guess one more myth busted) last year and ended up with a f*ed up engine. OK, I swallowed the bitter pill, as I had purchased the car as export and without warranty, so couldn't do much about it. I then found a replacement engine for a decent price in a local ad. All nice and well, the 'new' engine was quite clean on the inside, no obvious issues and it fired right up once mounted in the car.

I then subsequently drove the car (pretty gently) for about 1500km and after that I changed the oil and oil filter once more, just to be on the safe side. I found no metal chips, nor 'powder' in the oil, so all seemed good on that front. Now to the not-so-good side:
- I did a forced DPF regen before the oil change, but the DPF light was still flashing
- I tried the 'service reset' procedure, no luck: the coil light flashed indeed 5 times, but then after starting the engine, the DPF light will just start flashing again
- When the engine is cold, there is a slight clacking noise under quick acceleration (coming seemingly from the right side of the engine, there where the timing chain actually sits), especially at low revs (idle to ~1200rpm); once approaching and over ~1500rpm it's not clacking anymore; higher - I haven't pushed it when cold; when warm, no noises can be heard at any rpm and she just purrs like a kitten; has plenty of power and torque, too

Now from my experience with motorcycle engines (of which I owned, I serviced, and I still own a few, all chain-driven) the chain slap clacking noise mostly occurs when the engine is warm, as the chain gets stretched by thermal dilation. I only heard such noises when cold on engines with hydraulic cam chain tensioners if the oil pressure was somehow not high enough, otherwise only when warm. Could it be that the Mazda is quite the opposite?

And one more...as after so many screwups with this car, I'm expecting the worst, does the engine need to be taken out of the car for a timing kit replacement, or can such work be done also with the engine 'on-board'?

Many thanks, your help is kindly appreciated!

Cheers,
Radu

Quick Reply: Mazda 6 Timing Chain plus more problems at 50K mileage