Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazda 6 MPS / Mazdaspeed6 jerks on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 03:30 PM
Angry Mazda 6 MPS / Mazdaspeed6 jerks on acceleration

Hi!

Just bought a 2006 Mazda6 MPS and after a month or so noticed that when I accelerate heavily on higher RPMs the car starts jerking/stuttering, like it wouldn't be getting enough fuel/something. On worst occasions it feels like it would stop running mid-drive.

It happens every time if I for instance drive in 6th gear on the highway, then get ready to pass someone and pop into 5th gear for a better RPM - let's say the RPM is around 3500 after dropping gear - and then I floor the gas. Boom the car stop jerking and acceleration is close to nothing.
If I start heavy acceleration from 0, first gear goes ok, second gear goes ok but usually the third gear starts giving similar problems but due to RPM being a bit lower at that point it's not that bad, it seems to be worse when dropping a gear straight into higher RPM. It feels like I have to be super careful not to give too much gas in turbo RPMs in anything after 2nd gear.

Giving a modest gas doesn't give problems, I can get to like 200km/h speeds with the car while giving the "right" amount of throttle but not being able to go for aggressive accelerations with a car that I bought with that purpose in mind is driving me nuts and not looking forwards on turning it to the shop for common evaluation before having some idea where the problem might be.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:02 AM

Do you know the service history of the car?

Checked the air filter? Cleaned the intake? Fuel filter? Spark plugs?

Without knowing the service history it's hard to tell someone where to start but those I mentioned would be as good a place as any.