Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazda 6 Currently at dealership - Requesting your assistance with how to proceed

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 12:39 PM
Exclamation Mazda 6 Currently at dealership - Requesting your assistance with how to proceed

Hi fellow Mazda and Direct Injection engine owners.

I am requesting your assistance in an issue I am having with my 2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring. My car is currently at the dealership and so timely replies would be greatly appreciated. This will be a fairly detailed post to give you all the required information to help me.

My 2015 Mazda 6 currently has less than 60,000 miles on it (59,890). I bought this car brand new in 2015 from my local big Mazda Dealership. I paid for the extended warranty (Easy Care) and the prepaid maintenance package through my large local Mazda dealership I purchased the vehicle from. I have one oil change left on the prepaid maintenance package and the extended warranty extends through 100,000 miles. All my oil changes, tire and brake replacements, repairs – everything was done through this exact same Mazda dealership.

I have meticulously cared for my vehicle and have scanned all oil changes, wearable item replacements, repairs etc from the dealership and put them in a binder. (see picture #1)

1. Picture of my vehicle binder where all service records and all other relevant info kept

Picture # 2 is the required maintenance schedule directly from my owner’s manual and Mazda’s website which I adhered to. Notice, there is nothing in the owners manual or online about cleaning the intake valves as a required service.

2. 2015 Mazda required Service Schedule directly from Mazda and owners manual

Picture #3 is my oil change spreadsheet screen shot.

3. My Oil Changes Screen shot

Picture #4 is just the first page of the spreadsheet I keep that keeps track of each of my fuel fill ups. This first page and each successive page (up until my most recent fuel fill up) shows that I meticulously keep track of my fuel fill ups and that I only ever used “top tier fuel” in all of my fill ups. Not once did I use non “top tier”, “cheap gas” fuel.

4. First page of fuel fill ups - Only top tier fuels used - always

With those things said, I have been having ongoing check engine lights on my vehicle. Each time the code reads “engine Cylinder 1 misfire” or “multiple engine misfire”. Each time, the dealership is saying there is carbon buildup on the intake valves.

Each time the check engine light would come on, I brought these issues to the dealership. In addition to doing my own “top engine cleaner” maintenance since I first purchase the vehicle because I have a direct injection (not port injection) engine, the dealership has done multiple services to address this issue also. Services such as engine decarb service, replace spark plugs, and fuel injection service etc. Picture #5 shows everything that has been done regarding this (and other issues).

This most recent “check engine” / “engine decarb issue” is the third time I have had this issue in less than 9,000 miles. The first time was around 50,000 miles in less then a year (April of 2019 - refer back to picture #5).

5. Engine Decarb and other Services performed

After performing individual services each time at the dealership to address this issue, the issue was not adequately addressed and still remains.

The dealership now wants about $800 more dollars to “remove intake, clean intake valves with Chem 12 cleaner”. Please check picture 6 for the description and repair bill.

6. Current Mazda repair bill

My vehicle is still currently at the dealership and I have not called them back yet as I do not know how to proceed.

I followed my owner’s manual and maintenance schedule exactly. I went above and beyond by using only top tier fuels. I did “engine top cleaners” either myself (or through the dealership) about every 15,000 miles. This vehicle has less than 60,000 miles on it. I have an extended warranty to 100,000 miles through the dealership. This issue was brought up and addressed multiple times through the dealership within about 9,000 miles. Even with all of these things, the check engine light is still coming on for this internal engine item and now the dealership wants to charge me close to a grand to clean the intake valves.

Should the check engine light be coming on for this internal engine issue when the vehicle (which I bought new) has less then 60,000 miles, all service manual items were adhered to and that I have paid for previous services through the dealership to address this issue?

Should I respectfully assert that the dealership cover the cost to adequately clean the intake valves and adequately address this issue ( a third time) while I cover the costs of the recommended brake flush and other services?

If the dealership refuses, should I escalate to Mazda headquarters directly?

Thank you

Last edited by GlowingPiston; 03-10-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:32 PM

Yes, escalate to Mazda corporate. Likely they will tell you that the Mazda part of your warranty is expired.
Eazy Care is a separate insurance contract sold by the dealer. I expect them to tell you that it is not a mechanical or systems defect, but rather due to improper fuel and/or lack of maintenance. The service they want to do is a “cleaning” vs. a “repair” so I can see their point.
$800 is a decent chuck of change. I’d put up a big stink and not let go.
Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

What fault code/codes is causing the engine light?