Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazda 6 2007 ATF oil change ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 02:19 PM
Default Mazda 6 2007 ATF oil change ?

Hello to all; My first post ! I recently acquired my Mazda 6 2007 wagon V6 from the original owner ; I do not have all the papers regarding past maintenance previously done on it : So my first question is regarding the ATF transmission oil replacement ; the car has 193K km on it and this oil kooks fine , not brown or bad burn smell.. My mechanic suggest a oil change for the transmission but as you know, Mazda does not recommend this maintenance ; So what do you suggests me to do reagrding this oil ? Is a ATF additive (like Liqui Moly ) could be a good add instead ? Thanks for your help .

Old 12-06-2020, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by jean-marc
Hello to all; My first post ! I recently acquired my Mazda 6 2007 wagon V6 from the original owner ; I do not have all the papers regarding past maintenance previously done on it : So my first question is regarding the ATF transmission oil replacement ; the car has 193K km on it and this oil kooks fine , not brown or bad burn smell.. My mechanic suggest a oil change for the transmission but as you know, Mazda does not recommend this maintenance ; So what do you suggests me to do regarding this oil ? Is a ATF additive (like Liqui Moly ) could be a good add instead ? Thanks for your help .
DO NOT ADD transmission additives!
If you have a repour with your "mechanic" then trust the advise.
or
You can get a sample and for about 30 bucks have it analyzed
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?ses...nv445%29%29%2F

BTW you can never go wrong with a pan and filter service on an automatic transmission no matter what the mileage unless there is an exciting problem or excessive wear.

It is sorta agreed in the automotive industry that lifetime fluid means when the warranty for the drivetrain is up that's the life expectancy LOL

Old 12-06-2020, 07:34 PM

Fine thanks; ok i will not add any additive; I just wonder why i should change the oil when it looks fine and i do not have any trouble whatsoever with the transmission...My mechanic did not see anything wrong neither; But i wonder why Mazda says it is seals and fine for life ..I think the mfg is the one who really knows at the end, not ?

Old 12-06-2020, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by jean-marc
Fine thanks; ok i will not add any additive; I just wonder why i should change the oil when it looks fine and i do not have any trouble whatsoever with the transmission...My mechanic did not see anything wrong neither; But i wonder why Mazda says it is seals and fine for life ..I think the mfg is the one who really knows at the end, not ?
I never said really to just change the fluid I said a filter service. This does means you will replace about 3-5 quarts of the 10-13 quarts that are in the transmission you can not drain from a filter service.
The lifetime is about 100k miles. You can not always tell by simply the color of the fluid. I have been servicing and building automatic transmissions for years and I would never really even my experience using the color only as a indicator. A filter service would let you at examine what is in the pan and maybe even the filter.

The manufacture does not know or really consider beyond the warranty the longevity much beyond about 100k miles unless they specify exactly in a warranty.

ALL automatic transmissions at some point need at least the filter service done!