Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Oil Change Interval Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Default Oil Change Interval Question

My question is about oil change interval.Same question tosynthetic andconventional oilusers(and I don't want to do another debate on that subject, so I would appreciate it if you could avoid getting on your soapbox about your choice).

Suppose you check your oil level, the level is fine,but younotice the oil is looking less than new ... a little discolored. But its still another 1200 miles until you are scheduled for another change.

In response to seeing the oil is a little discolored, do you shorten your interval?

Old 05-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Default RE: Oil Change Interval Question

Dino's every 3000
Synth's every 5000

I wouldn't worry about a little discoloring after 1800 miles.

My 2 cents

Old 05-18-2007, 10:39 PM

i would agree wit the guy above me. a lil discoloration isnt bad. wen its dirt black the u took to long.lol. o and i got a ques. does royal purple really add 9hp. that would b awsome.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:49 PM

one of the major oil companies came out and said last year that the oil actually doesn't ever need to be changed, only the filter. you do need to top it off. this will not put me off of oil changes though. you should be fine on the 3000 dino and 5000 synth rythym

Old 05-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

I'm running 10K w/5w-30 Mobil 1, w/a filter change @ 5.
I would find it hard to believe that any oil will add 9hp... certainly not in a street engine. 'Sounds like ad hype to me.

Oh, and after seeing and rebuilding a 3 yr old engine that developed and leak early on, and the owner just adding fresh oil to top it off, I wouldn't recommend trying that either. There wasn't much left to rebuild, and the gunk in the bottom of the pan all but choked off the oil pickup. The cylinders where badly worn and scored, and there was enough varnish on everything to clog the smaller oil passageways off too.
Don't Do It!!

Old 05-19-2007, 07:50 AM

ORIGINAL: wsoape281

one of the major oil companies came out and said last year that the oil actually doesn't ever need to be changed, only the filter. you do need to top it off. this will not put me off of oil changes though. you should be fine on the 3000 dino and 5000 synth rythym
Do you have a link that shows where a major oil company said the above? Even the best oil filter(doesn't matter how new) allows between 1-3% of fine particulate to get through - this is the dirt that builds up, causing your oil to discolor. Nothing except doing a change removes that dirt.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

I'm running 10K w/5w-30 Mobil 1, w/a filter change @ 5.
I would find it hard to believe that any oil will add 9hp... certainly not in a street engine. 'Sounds like ad hype to me.

Oh, and after seeing and rebuilding a 3 yr old engine that developed and leak early on, and the owner just adding fresh oil to top it off, I wouldn't recommend trying that either. There wasn't much left to rebuild, and the gunk in the bottom of the pan all but choked off the oil pickup. The cylinders where badly worn and scored, and there was enough varnish on everything to clog the smaller oil passageways off too.
Don't Do It!!

BAD experience with that myself and some of my buds. Even on newer cars (this was a Ford Focus), we dropped in a 2.5 boxster engine in the car and we ran it at high rpm on the dyno (mosting in the 7500-8000 range). After a while, the engine oil got low and we topped it off. The engine never performed again.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: UrbanmanUSA

ORIGINAL: wsoape281

Do you have a link that shows where a major oil company said the above? Even the best oil filter(doesn't matter how new) allows between 1-3% of fine particulate to get through - this is the dirt that builds up, causing your oil to discolor. Nothing except doing a change removes that dirt.
don't have a link, i read it in popular science.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: TMR Net Shark

ORIGINAL: virgin1

Don't Do It!!
BAD experience with that myself and some of my buds. Even on newer cars (this was a Ford Focus), we dropped in a 2.5 boxster engine in the car and we ran it at high rpm on the dyno (mosting in the 7500-8000 range). After a while, the engine oil got low and we topped it off. The engine never performed again.
Re: V1'ssludge build up story, you didn't say if all he did was top up (did he stop doing changes?). If he did changes, and still got the sludge, sounds like the leak was substantial enough to change the circulation dynamics within the engine.

Re: The 2.5 story. The 2.5 gives max hp at 6500 rpm, max torque at 4500,with redlinebeing 6700. Of course the engine is going to burn oil and eventually blow somethingif yourev it to 7500-8000.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah. They stopped doing oil changes because of the size of the leak.
What I never understood was that the car was new enough @ the time (it was a Volvo sedan... 1977 or78. We got it around 1981-2) that they should've simply taken it back to the dealer for repair. Instead they decided that since the car was going through so much oil that it was one in the same... as changing the oil that is.
Some ppl just shouldn't own or operate an automobile, y'know?

Quick Reply: Oil Change Interval Question