Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Light indicating that car is on park doesn't light up in dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 01:24 AM
Question Light indicating that car is on park doesn't light up in dashboard

Hello,

This is my first post here, if I'm doing anything wrong, just tell me and I'll behave properly !

I'll explain the problem : The light that indicates that the car is on park won't light up in the dashboard when the shift lever is in park.

The car is an automatic Mazda6 GS 2004 with the 2.3 liters 4 cylinder engine and 59 000 miles.

It's an intermittent problem. If we play with the lever or the car slightly move when releasing the brake pedal, sometimes the light will come back on.

When the car is stopped, it's not that bad because we can stop the car and remove the key without any problems. What's annoying is trying to start the car, because we need to put it on neutral so it will start up.

I did a search on your forum and I found those :
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...rt-park-16355/
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...ignition-6517/

It looks to be really similar to my problem.

Here's are my questions :
Is it a known problem on a Mazda6 ?
Is it costly to fix considering parts cost ?
Is it costly to fix considering time cost ?
Is it a dangerous problem ? (Does the car is physically on park, even if the display is defective)
Can it get worse ? (Due to my personal experience, we don't play around an automatic transmission if we can avoid it...)

Thanks alot for your help, it is much appreciated !
Have a nice day,
Konnan

Old 06-06-2013, 05:53 AM

No one ?

Old 07-07-2013, 12:22 AM
Default Adjust your TR switch

I just had the exact same problem (2008 Mazda3, No "P" while in park, only starts in neutral. It was an intermittent issue until eventually permanent).

The issue is the TR (transmission range) switch. It is either faulty ($50 on ebay) or needs adjusted (1-2 hours shop-time?). Oddly enough it is held on by two screws and the only adjustment I could manage was to use the slop in the bolt holes. Well, whatever I did, it started working once I put the TR switch back in ("P" now lights, and it will start in park). No replacement part needed... just a little knuckle busting to get the demons out.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:48 AM

Wow, a month later, a detailed and complete post like that, that was unexpected !

Thank you very much, that is much appreciated !

I will definitely try this out !

Old 10-20-2019, 06:45 AM
Default Please could you please re-post it with pictures. Thanks

Please could you please re-post it with pictures. Thank You!

Originally Posted by elementx440
I just had the exact same problem (2008 Mazda3, No "P" while in park, only starts in neutral. It was an intermittent issue until eventually permanent).

The issue is the TR (transmission range) switch. It is either faulty ($50 on ebay) or needs adjusted (1-2 hours shop-time?). Oddly enough it is held on by two screws and the only adjustment I could manage was to use the slop in the bolt holes. Well, whatever I did, it started working once I put the TR switch back in ("P" now lights, and it will start in park). No replacement part needed... just a little knuckle busting to get the demons out.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

elementx440 hasn't been on the forum since 2013