Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Key Stuck In Ignition

Old 01-25-2007, 06:37 PM
Default Key Stuck In Ignition

I have a problem I need help with. It seems like the car is not going into park sometimes. So, I can't turn the key and take it out. The indicator on the instrument panel doesn't show that park is engaged. The car can start back up, so it's definitely not in reverse. I have an '05 Tribute. I read the info on the MPV with the similar problem. I spoke to the dealership 3 times and took it in once. They said they couldn't the problem, so there was nothing they could do. I'm curious if there is anything I could do to fix this problem. They aren't receptive to me telling them what it might be unless they can see it for themselves. As luck would have it, everything works fine when I get it to them.Thanks for the help.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Default RE: Key Stuck In Ignition

Two things it could probably be King276. When this occurs are you able to shift out of that Park position without stepping on the brake pedal?
The key interlock system is controlled by a microswitch in the shift lever assembly. But the "P" light on the dash should be controlled by PCM or IC via signals from the transmission range selector switch on the transmission. It is possible that the microswitch for the key interlock is faulty but do not think that it would affect the gear position indication on the dash. Seems much more likely that the microswitch is not being contacted by the shift lever due to the cable being justa tad out adjustment. Do you want to try and adjust the shifter select cable and see if this will solve the problem?

Old 01-26-2007, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the reply babyhuey.
When it happens, I am able to shift out of park without without stepping on the brake. Usually, the button on the shifter is supposed to lock when in park without the brake. When I'm having the problem, the button doesn't lock.

Can you provide instructions on how to adjust the cable? The dealership wouldn't listen to anything I had to say in regards to what the problem could be. In their words, "If we can't replicate it, there's nothing we can do." I don't know how they would know if it was fixed anyway.
Thanks for the info.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:27 PM

The unable to duplicate and nothing we can do sucks but I guess it is there for a purpose. Probably 75% of vehicles that are bought back under the lemon law are due to trying to fix a problem without being able to first duplicate the problem. This way they know there is truly a problem and also being able to see that it is repaired because it doen't do it anymore.

Check the post just below this one as I have been thinking about a more probable solution.

To adjust the cable you first need to locate where the shift cable attaches to the transmission. This is located just below and behind the air cleaner housing and under the brake master cylinder.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/E471371816DF4CB3887F8ABA925F7FBF.jpg[/IMG]
Here is a pic of the shift cable location.
[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/3B58874A01D04DD1BA5992CE8353BC90.gif[/IMG]
First you will want to shift the lever into park.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/D4F7AF514D1E4EF98F06D8FEBF8CE218.gif[/IMG]

Loosen the fastener (10mm bolt) holding the Z-bracket to the transaxle shift bracket and rotate the Z-bracket counterclockwise to allow access to the shift cable/transaxle bracket interface.
[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/F9328DC6F44B49DBA9989B2B51525B63.gif[/IMG]

Loosen the gearshift cable adjuster to adjust the cable by turning it 1/4 turn counterclockwise. It will be fairly hard to turn and may feel like is going to break but it won't. Just keep twisting.It is the outer shell that will turn and not the entire part.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/2AE5662A0A2745D8824F1CF8BCC409CC.gif[/IMG]
Now wiggle this lever up and down just a little to make sure shaft is centered in gear.
Once it feels centered then tighten the gearshift cable adjuster ring by turning it back 1/4 clockwise to lock in your adjustment. Turn the Z-bracket back into position and retighten fastener.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:15 PM

One other thing you might play around with a little bit King276. Have been thinking about the symptoms you are describing and had a chance to tinker around with an 05 Trib today. When this Park but not really in Park thing happens, is the button on the shifter popping all the way out as it normally would?? and has any sticky liquid (coffee, soda, juice, etc ) been spilt onto the gear shift lever area?
Try these two things while the system is operating normally so you can compare when it is not.

With Key on but engine not running, foot on the brake pedal, and shifter in Park, slowly depress and release the button on the shifter. You should hear a click type noise from the instrument cluster area every time the square around the 'D' appears and disappears. You might even hear a very light click noise from shifter area but is harder to hear.This is the sound of the "Park Range" switch in the shift lever assembly opening and closing and turning on and off the key interlock solenoid.
Now that you have heard this then release the brake pedal while the shifter button is beingdepressed and slowly release the button. You will hear the click from cluster area, square around 'D' will appear and as you let the button out even further you will finally hear a muted click/thump from the shifter area. That last noise you heard was the shift lock solenoid popping out and keeping you from pushing the shifter button back in without foot on brake pedal again.
Now that you are aware of these sounds then see which ones are not occuring when it will not release the key.
Am having a feeling that this switch/solenoid is the source of your problem.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:12 PM

I will try this when I get into the car in a little while.
When everything is working properly and I shift into park, there is a click when the square moves around the park indicator on the instrument panel.
When it is not doing that, there is no click. Then later when I hear the click, the square appears around the Park indicator, they key is able to be turned and come out.
I believe some soda was spilled on the gear lever area a while back (Maybe a year plus ago). I can't remember if this has been happening before then.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:28 AM

That is a good indication that the switch in the shifter area is not working right and is sticking. Pay particular attention to the sound from the shifter area with key on and pressing and releasing the brake pedal. This is the click/thump noise that you will hear from the shifter area. Try hearing that sound when all is working normal and then seeing if that same noise is present when "in park but not really in park condition" is occuring. If noise is not present then is a prime possibility that the switch/solenoid is sticking. Problem is, the solenoid is not available as a separate part and the entire shift lever assembly would need to be replaced if the switch area is not able to be cleaned in the event that the spilled soda has created a gummy film that is causing the whole problem. Worse still is that if the spilled soda has created this problem then the dealer will most likely not warranty the problem and charge you for they cleaning or replace. Let us see what happens as you listen to the sounds you hear when the Trib is acting up with not going fully into park.
The shift lever assembly retails for between $155 to $170 depending upon application so lets try to figure this one out so do not have to spend out of pocket.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:54 PM

When it is working fine, and I step on the brake or release it, I hear the click coming from the shifter.
When it isn't working and I step on the brake or release it, there is no click. When this happens, the indicator also doesn't have the square around "P". It usually happens when it's cold outside, but not always.

I'm taking it back to the dealership on Tuesday. Maybe the problem will be present there this time.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:31 PM

Well, I pick it up from the dealership, and as expected, they said it worked perfectly there. When I get to my destination, it starts doing it again.
Babyhuey, is it possible for me to clean the shift area and switch myself?

Old 02-07-2007, 08:29 PM

It certainly would be possible for you to clean the area yourself. Would probably even be the better solution as I said before that if dealer could duplicate and got in there to find sticky spilled soda pop they would charge you for repair/replace anyway.[:@]Have been hoping a later model Trib with the auto floor shifter would come in so could get some pics for you but any later models have been manual trans. Will post this up and will also keep my eye out for one to get you some better directions. Per the pic below is an exploded view of the center console. You might even be able to just remove the console finish panel labeled #4 in the diagram to get enough access to get in there.
Start by shifting into Drive gear so shift lever will be out of the way. Engage the parking brake as hard as you can to get the handle as vertical as possible. Now open the \rear console cover lid and you will see the line between the finish panel and entire console. Just grab ahold of where the cover lid latches and pull straight up. Spring clips will release at the rear and as the front part of the console starts torelease you will hear a sound that will make you think the entire thing is breaking. This is just the sound of the shifter trim ring lifting up. It has a kind of ratcheting system to keep in place and makes a horendous noise coming out. Just keep lifting straight up and will finally fully release. Disconnect the electrical connectors for the power point, slide the parking brake handle thru the boot and you should have it off.
Now you get to jam your head down there and find the switch/solenoid. Follow the line of the shift lever to underneath the gear indicator plate. Back into Park and with key on and brake depressed, as you press and relase the button on the shifter look for a small shaft moving up and down. Once you find it then release and depress the brake pedal. You will see a small white button thingy that moves in a direction perpendicular to the movement of the small shaft and will be located at the bottomost travel of the shaft. That is the suspected sticking switch/solenoid. A cleaning with toothbrush and hot water should removeany sticky residue that might be causing the whole dang problem. Let me know how things work or if other questions and I will keep on the look out for a Trib that will let me get some better pics.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/E7C3DBE226C74D4598A34DA946374EFE.gif[/IMG]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key Stuck In Ignition