Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

i bought the car used with no keyless entry. also flashing red key symbol on dash.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 01:16 AM
Default i bought the car used with no keyless entry. also flashing red key symbol on dash.

hey everyone,

i am totally new to this forum so any comments would begreat. just purchased a used '05 mazda6 i base 2.3L w/ 22k miles the other day. i know... it isnt a sport package or anything, no bells and whistles but i got a good deal on it and think i can put my own touch on it as i save up somemoney. i purchased the car from power toyota and i totallyassumed all cars now a days was going to come with AT LEAST keyless entry/alarm. and of course,mine didnt. my question is,dothe basemodelsnormally come with keyless entry/alarm? i remember they asked me if i wanted to spend the extra cash on a alarm system and i said no only thinking they were talking about low jack or what not. anyway, the guy was taking off some "alarm system" before they handed me the keybut i just thought it was "power toyota's alarm system" they were removing.after that,the guyjust handed the key to meall by its lonesome [:@]with no remote!

can i just buy a keyless alarm remote from mazda or ebay and just program it??? will it work? or do i actually have to have it installed? orrr... should i just get an aftermarket alarm system like clifford or viper. i dont need anything fancy. just keyless entry is what i really need i guess.

and one last thing, i notice that after i take out my key outof the ignition, i notice that there is a flashing red car key symbol that flashes like an alarmLED i thought it was justto showpeoplewho try to jack the carthat it was locked. after reading a thread about someones key chip wouldnt start the car im wondering what does it mean and should i be concerned about this? my car starts fine, my key works, and the door locks fine. just wondering what that flashing key LED means? please help.

thanks

Old 02-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Default RE: i bought the car used with no keyless entry. also flashing red key symbol on dash.

I bought my used '04 Mazda6S from CarMax. They only give me 1 key and remote, so I went to Mazda and they programmed another set. I presented the receipt to CarMax and they reimbursed me.

I think the total cost was around $150 for both, so figure $75 each. Mazda keys have a chip in them - not sure about remote.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Default RE: i bought the car used with no keyless entry. also flashing red key symbol on dash.

Have never seen a 6 with power door locks that was not equipped with keyless entry. They were probably just lost and power toyota did not replace with new ones. Theft deterent system that would flash lights and honk horn is an optional deal and base model would not usually come equipped with it. Remotes are available from dealer for around $35 each or onlinemazdaparts for around $28. There are also a bunch on e-bay but keep in mind there are two separate remotes styles and ebay sellers are not always specific on that. One for the sedan and the other for sport wagon and hatchback. Which body style do you have?

The flashing key in car symbol on the dash is the immobilizer system. Chip in your key is the only one that willallow your engine to be started. Any other unprogrammed key will not be able to start the engine.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:00 AM

thanks guys for the responses. that explains it. i called mazda and gave them my VIN and they said my car does come equipped with the "keyless entry" module and all i had to do was purchase the key and program it. just as i expected... i was gunna say, "my god my car is ghetto and doesnt come with keyless entry." [&:]they quoted me $45 bucks for it! aaaand to top it off, they charge $93 dollars an hour for labor to program it! the guys said it can take anywhere from at least 30mins to 1 hour. normally 45mins or something.i said FCK that i'll just purchase one on ebay and program it myself.

i dont need a diagnostic computer for it do i? i found instructions on how to program it somewhere but i just want to double check. this is totally something that can be done myself right?the mazda guycouldnt tell me off the top of his head if my car needed the diagnositc computer to program it. he said just bring it in.

anyways babyhuey, i have a 2005 mazda6 ibase 2.3L sedan and the remote i purchased looks like this. i hope its the right one for the sedan... please let me know if this is the sedan and not the wagon or hatch. that would suck if i got the wrong one.

ok now for the flashing key in car symbol on the dash, you said it was the immobilzer system. now is it suppose to be flashing constantly? should i be concerened? does anyone else's flash? like i said my car door opens fine and the car starts fine.what does the immobilzer system do exactly?

Old 02-23-2007, 03:43 AM

Immobilizer works like this: your key has a chip in the plastic part, the ignition recognizes the unique signal and starts the car when you turn the key.They are easily $100 each.(My 2006 switch blade key with the remote all built in is $300.) The car would not start if you just spend a few bucks to cut a copy of the original:the cheapnew key can open the door,it will even turnin the ignition , but starter won't turn over and no juice for fuel pump and spark plugs. The flashing key on the dash tells the would be thief that the car is equipped with immobilzer,turning him away for an easier target. It keeps flashing unless your good key is in the ignition. A car with an immobilizer cannot be hot wired. Alarm (a noise maker) is a totally different system even most will cut the ignition.
Good luck with your remote.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:33 PM

I have the EXACT same car I bought new for 05 and it doesn't come with the switchblade key,It comes with the normal key with the chip in it. As far as programming the key itself,you can do it yourself in minutes. I did my extra one for my remote start in minutes at the dealership when I picked it up. The remotes DO have to be programmed with the car however at the dealership usually. They didn't offer the switchblade key design till 06 however. That remote you have the picture of there I have never seen before and I have both a 2004 6s wagon and a 2005 6i 5-door sedan so I have no idea what that remote came from that you have pictured.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:47 PM

umm you said 5 door sedan? thats a hatchback right? well is that the same as the 4- door? i have a 4 door not a 5 door. hope this remote is still correct or else im stuck.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:07 PM

Actually,I have one of each. my 2004 is a four door and my 2005 is a 5-door(hatch) which I have already replaced a remote and a key for each of them. The Key is pretty cheap and easy to program yourself. The remote is the more expensive piece but you can order one from AUTOZONE cheaper than the dealer and it is still the same one and they get it within the week usually. I have gotten replacement remotes through them for my 6,my Jeep,and my 4-runner. I would check through the Auto Parts places before the dealer on the remote,but the key is cheap and easy to program yourself! I programmed my own in about two minutes!
Good Luck!