Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

help! need info for motor swap!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 12:00 PM
Default help! need info for motor swap!

i have a 04 mazda 6 2.3l can a 07 mazda 6 2.3l motor and tranny work in the 04. i noticed that the crank position sensor is not the same mount. i put the motor in the car and put the original sensor and only got 1 combustion it was only mounted by one bolt so i have to remove whole timing cover. with only an inch of clearance now that the motor is in its going to be a pain can anyone help me with finding out if the motor and tranny will work? had to swap some plugs... what other things should i swap or would need. from what i think i might have to take the motor out...... any advise to work around this and het this swap comlete because my wife car she bought with 190000 miles and a knocking motor. so i bought a replacement because forums said it work for 2002-2008 models the motor is the same. but the plugs are different???? will it work? will it not? also original tranny is 5 speed. the new one is six speed. does it matter? will it still work all plugs are connected. only 2 extra plugs for the overdrive six speed... any help much appriciated! im stumped because my mechanic working on the car will have to perform more work. trying to save his time and my money... im dying for help to advise because he not a mazda tech... mostly hondas...

Old 02-26-2014, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

The blocks are the same, however, you will need to use the old manifolds, wiring, sensors and possibly the camshafts, maybe also the old crank pulley too. Also you may need to rework the dipstick as they are in different positions. Don't know about changing the trans, might not work. Ive changed/upgraded the engines before but not the trans.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:57 PM

everything plugs up for the trans. only two plug are not on my wiring. which is for the six speed. i was told it shouldnt matter id just wont have six speed. i have to take motor out again to change timing cover.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

You should be able to get the timing cover off with the engine in-place.
I know you can with the turbo 2.3 and the GH 2.5 model.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:23 AM

its impossible to get to the timing cover bolts. my guy want to take the motor out one of the corner light bolts are spinning in place... cant get light off. should i take motor out and put the original trans on new motor. i bought the trans because i thought it wouldnt make sense to put a 45000 motor on a 190000 trans. if that would be the best bet to make sure it works. the trans still runs and shifts smooth. but it was leaking from trans on original. but no probs. just the motor was bottom end knocking. idk what to do with the new tranny. im hopingthat the timing cover is the problem because once we had motor in we didnt hear spark. once we put original crank sensor we herd one blow. put crank sensor is not position right and wasnt original crank pulley either. im hoping i can use the motor and trans from 07 and swap all the parts of 04. the injectors look different but have same plug. intake looks the same with same plug same with throttle body. i changed top engine sensor the intake cams we havent checked if its similar yet. but i really dont want to mess with timing. will i have to take the whole front assembly to take motor back out....

Old 02-28-2014, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

"my guy want to take the motor out one of the corner light bolts are spinning in place... cant get light off"
What does a light have to do with the timing cover?

I've had a read of the workshop manual & you definitely don't need to remove the engine to remove the timing over. Its not overly difficult to remove the cover.