Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Help? Dash noise & Brake Moan!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Default Help? Dash noise & Brake Moan!

Greetings all.... I am an avid car nut, and have grown up around vehicles all my life. I have a lot of knowledge about cars. I have an 89 GT 5.0L Mustang that is built to the hills, that is crazy fast. I have built engines, rebuilt rear ends, helped perform restorations...etc. and can be most helpful to a lot of you as far as technical issues/recommendation etc... but first I need your help.

I have two persistent issues with my 04 Mazda 6 S 3.0L V-6 with 5-Speed Sport Automatic:

1. There is a noise coming from my dash that I have been unable to eliminate. It is very intermittent and is best described as a "muffled rattle" with a very occasional louder "pop" sound. The noise can happen over small or large bumps, or not at all for long periods of time, but is quite annonying when it's doing it. There is nothing like taking your buddy out for a drive and having him ask you "hey, whats that noise?" I have had the car about a year and bought it with only 4K miles. The problem first occurred around 7K mileage. I now have 17K on the car.

2. My second problem is at low speed manuevering while applying the brakes, I sometimes get a rather load "moaning" sound from the brakes. It is not a brake squeak or squeal, but a MOAN. This happens for example when pulling into a parking space, or into my driveway. I have checked all of the pads & rotors, dust gaurds, caliper slides, etc.... and can find nothing out of the ordinary.

If any of you have these issues, and knowhow to remedy them, I would be eternally greatful for your input and would definitely attempt to return the favor in the future. Thank You

Old 02-08-2006, 02:11 AM
Default RE: Help? Dash noise & Brake Moan!

There is a TSB for the brake moan. Take it to the dealer.

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?t=811

Old 02-08-2006, 11:22 AM

I actually have the same muffle rattle sound as you do. I only get it when turning a corner in 1st or 2nd gear or going up a hill. I can't figure it out either. My car is a 2004 with 26,000 miles on it. After the so called Mazda mechanics replaced my clutch I beginning to get "New" sounds...Beats the hell outta me!

Old 02-14-2006, 08:19 PM

I had a loud scratch sound coming from front wheels when turning them to the right or left, mainly on a first or second gear...turning on a speed more than 30 km/h the sound was not heard. I had taken the car to dealership, they said that it's usual problem for Mazda (mine is 2.0 2003), that grease dries up somewhere in the wheel system (I don't know), they fixed it up just in minutes.

I'm not sure if you have the same problem, but I just described my resolution.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:10 PM

I have some noises coming from mine. The front right tire area. I am bringing it to the dealership tomorrow. Ill let you know how it goes.

Old 02-18-2006, 08:16 AM

ORIGINAL: euro24

I had a loud scratch sound coming from front wheels when turning them to the right or left, mainly on a first or second gear...turning on a speed more than 30 km/h the sound was not heard. I had taken the car to dealership, they said that it's usual problem for Mazda (mine is 2.0 2003), that grease dries up somewhere in the wheel system (I don't know), they fixed it up just in minutes.

I'm not sure if you have the same problem, but I just described my resolution.
I had the same issue with my '04 6i. But mine was a screeching. Turned out both of the brake clips were both broken on the calipers and were scratching my rotors while turning.

Alamo, I have the same noise coming from my dash as well. It kind of sounds like it's coming from the steering column.

I have a lot of vibration when I hit my brakes as well...I thought it was due to the rotors...but they're pretty smooth. When I last had my car in for the TCM and PCM recalls, they checked my brake pads and said they were fine too. So, maybe that recall applies to my vehicle as well.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:54 PM

I too have a rattle in my dash area- esp the pass area by the front window. I've brought it to the dealer about 4 times now and they still can't fix it. they only place some foam between the dash and window area. I am now to the point that I want to get rid of the car. Nothings worse then having two more years of paying on the car and not enjoying driving it do to the rattling sound.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:02 PM

did you ever figure out the moaning issue? I have an 03 mazda 6 manual and I am getting the same thing. I have replaced the pads, and then again when I replaced the new caliper, but am still getting the moan. It seems to be after driving it for any length of time. Cannot see any obvious cause for it. Mopar has a Brake moan kit, but it seems to be a repair to the axel.