Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

'02 Protege 5 ABS & Park Brake Light in Dash Is On???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Default '02 Protege 5 ABS & Park Brake Light in Dash Is On???

When I started the car as normal the lights would come on in the dash ( engine,abs etc. ) Usually they would all go out after awhile. Yesterday when I started the car the ABS and Park Brake lights didn't go off at all. I did however the day before change the low-beam headlight bulb. Could this have been related? Or would this be a different problem all together. If anyone has any insight please advise... TKS

Old 08-15-2005, 05:54 PM
Default RE: '02 Protege 5 ABS & Park Brake Light in Dash Is On???

fill brake master cylinder with brake fluid it may not look like it needs it but the sensor is at the top of the resivior so do that if it doesnt work let me know and i will do some research

Old 08-16-2005, 01:38 PM
roo

Oh, and just make sure not to overfill it. The brake fluid DOES need a little space at the top for expansion.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:24 PM

If abs and brake light staying on then there is probably a malfunction detected by the control unit. Codes can be retrieved using the following method. Under the hood to the rear of the left front strut tower you will see a small 2"x3" gray box that should say diagnosis on it. Open the top and you will see a pattern of two places where a connector might fit. . The connector will look lilke this [ ][ ] [ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][x][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ] [ ][ ]
Get a small jumper wire and a paper clip and ground the pin that has the 'x' in it. Now turn the ignition key to run and watch the abs warning light. It will come on for 3 seconds and then out for two seconds. It will then flash you a two digit failure code. Long flash(s) of 1.2 seconds followed by short flash(s) of .4 seconds. The long flashes are the first digit and short flashes are second digit (ie 4 long flashes followed by 2 short flashes would be a code 42. Once one code is output the light will go off for 4 seconds and then either flash you any other codes or repeat if there is only one. Try this and then post with the code you get. Would post what they all mean but there are 31 different codes and I am tired of typing already. Good luck and make sure only ground the specified pin. Can cause damage to electricals if grounding wrong one.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:31 PM

My diagram of the diagnosis connector did not come out in the post. %$#@&!! Anyway there are five rows of pins if looking at it front straight ahead. The pin you want to ground is in the third row from the firewall, 2nd from left. Most of the pin cavities should be empty so hopefully will not be hard to find. If unsure leave post and will see if can take scan of manual with better description.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:17 PM

I checked the brake fluid and it was fine. Come to find out is was a faulty left rear abs sensor. Does anyone know if the sensor is by itself or it part of the rear bearing assembly ???

Old 08-19-2005, 04:12 AM

Sensor is available as separate part. Will get you a part number in the morning if you need it. Still did not get what code was stored. There are 6 different codes that indicate fault in rear left sensor circuit. C1175, C1178, C1236, C1242, C1250, and C1513. All indicate different malfunctions in the left rear sensor/circuit.

Old 08-19-2005, 02:55 PM

I took the car in the dealer and they advised me on the faulty sensor. I did not get the codes from them. They gave me a price of $220.00
CDN$ for a new sensor. I never thought to ask at the time if it was seperate or part of the bearing assembly. I've called around locally in the after-market and no one has a listing on a P5, only the Protege. Would a Protege with 4 wheel disc brakes take the same sensor/bearing ??

Old 08-19-2005, 11:10 PM

The sensor for a 2 disc system is part #B25D-43-72YB and retails for $58.60. The sensor for a 4 disc system is part #GE7C-43-72YC and retails for $99.80. These are factory parts from Mazda dealer. They are not interchangeable. If you have rear disc brakes than use the GE7C. With rear drums use the B25D. The parts are same for Protege and Protege 5. The sensor is not part of the hub but is completely separate part. If you can remove the wheel and have a few simple tools you should be able to replace yourself. I assume that the $220 was part, labor and diagnostic.

Old 08-19-2005, 11:44 PM

The p/n they gave me was 1-B25D-43-73XG. The $220 was just the sensor plus 1 hour labour. My P5 is a 4-disc system ( I think they all are ?) Can you tell me what that p/n actually is ?? TKS

Quick Reply: '02 Protege 5 ABS & Park Brake Light in Dash Is On???