Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Engine ligth-->defective gas tank valve???

Old 05-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Default Engine ligth-->defective gas tank valve???

Hi! My check engine turned on and I brought it to my dealer to check it. They charged me 80$+ to tell me that so air valve in my gas tank is blocked and i need to replace it and itll cost me around 800$. On the paper it says defective evacuation pump.The dealer said the fix wasnt urgent. At that point, I did not fix it.

Afterwards i had a car accident (front end) and had my car fixed. When i got it back, they check engine was gone and i assumed they fixed the problem.

Recently, the check engine came back on (yellow). I didnt want to fix it at the dealer because they overcharge so i brought it to my garagist (who doesnt have the machine to read the code) and told him what i know. He checks my engine from head to toe and does find any problems and says its in very good condition. He called my dealer but they refused to give him the code or more information, saying it is some professional secret...So nothing was done.

Ih ave been driving months since and have not noticed any problems...but that check engine is still bothering me. Does anybody have an idea what the problem is? Did the dealer try to scam me?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:13 AM
Default RE: Engine ligth-->defective gas tank valve???

I have no clue what an evacuation pump is, unless it's the fuel pump, but I think you would probably notice if that was malfunctioning (lack of throttle response, sputtering, and other problems associated with the engine not getting enough fuel). As for what the dealer is doing, if you're in the States, go to autozone, they will pull the codes for free, if not I can't help you.

-Cameron Keffer

Old 05-16-2008, 08:57 AM

Well I actually live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada...does anybody know a place that'll check it for free?

I rechecked the paper the dealer gave which is in french (pompe evap defectueuse) and it translates better as defective evaporation pump than evacuation...Sorry bout that! Any ideas?

Old 05-16-2008, 11:25 AM

Most likely they were referring to the Evaporative Gas Check Valve or the Purge Solenoid Valve. Both are a part of the vehicles Emissions systems (gas fume control)