Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Coolant tank is going empty so fast!!! What the connection between coolant tank and the water pump??

Old 12-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Default Coolant tank is going empty so fast!!! What the connection between coolant tank and the water pump??

Hello guys,

I own Mazda Protege DX 1995. It's old car but i am satisfied with its performance until now. I wanna ask some questions and suggestion. My car coolant tank is going empty so fast in 2 days during the winter season. This does not happen on other seasons. The coolant tank is not leaked. I have to fill in another coolant fluid every 2 days. I checked under the engine, some coolant fluidwas coming out (leaking) on the right front side after i filled in the coolant tank.I ever askedsome mechanics about that. They saidthat car water pump is leaked.But i am confused, what the connection between the coolingtank is going empty so fast and some coolant fluid is leaking and the waterpump is leaked??? Is there really any relationship between both of those parts???

Lately, since i always filled in the coolant tank every 2 days, i just realized when i turned on the ignition to warm up the car, i heard noise like water/fluid wave around my dashboard when i sat in my car. Then, i tried to drive the car around, i still heard that noise. Is this one of the indicators that the water pump is leaked, besides the coolant fluid is leaking from the right front side under the engine? If it is, by replacing a new water pump and timing belt, do you guys really think that will stop the coolant fluid leaking and kill the water/fluid noise??? Please i need some help and great suggestion. Thank you so much.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Default RE: Coolant tank is going empty so fast!!! What the connection between coolant tank and the water pump??

The water pump is what circulates the coolant through your engine and back to the radiator.

A leaky waterpump will definitely cause you to lose coolant. If it's leaking to the point you actually see fluid...I'd get it fixed quick.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Default RE: Coolant tank is going empty so fast!!! What the connection between coolant tank and the water pump??

Your Coolant Tank is basicly a over flow for your radiator when your rad get over pressurised you rad cap opens letting the coolant into the bottle.... Your water pump is what circulates the coolant thre your engine block and your your heater core( gives you heat)
Have you found you loose heat when your coolant lvl drops? your water pump should be chaned every 100 000Km i would recommend to get your timing belt done at the same time since it has to come off if your getting the pump changed..

The bew water pump you get make sure it has a aluminum impeller not plastic

Hope it helps!