Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Cold weather issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 06:20 PM
Default Cold weather issue

Hello all. I'm dealing with an unusual problem with my '19 Mazda 6 touring. The windows freeze shut all the time. Up here in MA we've had a lot of rain one day then frigid cold right after. All the windows freeze and won't come down. It makes going to the drive thru for morning coffee a challenge.(our local Dunkin is only drive thru due to covid so going inside isn't an option) anyone else ever had this problem?? I have to go out in the morning and pour warm water around the frame of the window... sometimes it works sometimes it just freezes also. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you!

Old 01-05-2022, 09:18 AM

If you search the Internet you'll find dozens of hacks for your problem, I've used silicone spray in the past with good results.

Old 01-05-2022, 02:09 PM

On my third Mazda, currently. (Miata, Mazda3, and CX-5.) The CX-5 hasn't developed slow-moving or "stiff" electric window syndrome, yet, but it's still early days. Wouldn't surprise me if it did.

But here are a couple of write-ups about things to check.

1. Stiff or Slow Window Fix @ wiki.miata.net. Removal of the door's panel and then cleaning and re-greasing the tracks.

2. Regreasing Slow Miata Windows @ did-it-myself.com. Removal of the door's panel and then cleaning and re-greasing the tracks.

3. In my own experience with these Mazdas, it's often the case that the window seal surround above and around the window gets a bit sticky. Best solution I've found for that is: using 303 Aerospace Protectant on a regular basis, to keep the rubber clean and pliable, which seems to eliminate this particular variation of the culprit.

I'm a little surprised that you're seeing it on a 3yr old vehicle. But by the fifth year, I've had slow windows on two of three Mazdas. So, you never know. But, in all cases cleaning and re-greasing the tracks drastically improved the speed of window function, to the point of seeming like-new. Unless there's something going wrong with the electronics, I'll bet those two things (clean/re-grease, and the 303 application on a regular basis) solve it.

Old 01-05-2022, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by GAsierra
On my third Mazda, currently. (Miata, Mazda3, and CX-5.) The CX-5 hasn't developed slow-moving or "stiff" electric window syndrome, yet, but it's still early days. Wouldn't surprise me if it did.

Best solution I've found for that is: using 303 Aerospace Protectant on a regular basis, to keep the rubber clean and pliable, which seems to eliminate this particular variation of the culprit.

I do not recommend a DIY to disassemble the door components (especially the Mazda driver's door on that model) even removing a door panel unless there is some experience level having to do with this procedure on a door with several electronic components as that MAZDA and most from about 2016 and newer have. Not a DIY friendly area to work.

Interesting the product you use while it seems not to have petroleum or alcohol ingredients, which is a good thing on any rubber, plastic and many other no mantellic composition materials it does have H2o. Last time I checked water freezes!

I think I will give it a try. I like most things that are similar that won't deteriorate my vehicles.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-05-2022 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Interesting the product you use while it seems not to have petroleum or alcohol ingredients, which is a good thing on any rubber, plastic and many other no mantellic composition materials it does have H2o. Last time I checked water freezes!

I think I will give it a try. I like most things that are similar that won't deteriorate my vehicles.
Sure, the 303 product is a water-based formulation. But it's not as though it's gooped on and left wet, on a surface. First, clean the car with water and soap, as normal, including the seals. Then a couple of light spritzes of the 303 on a microfiber cloth, full wipe-down of the surface that needs conditioning, then another spritz on a clean portion of the towel with a few final wipes of the surface. Leaves it clean and dry. Of course, inside the door jamb area, there's not a lot of risk of UV damage (which is one of the product's key features), but something in it seems to keep the rubber seals a bit more tolerant of dampness through a cold winter. Have used it on three different vehicles, in cold winter temps ranging from -15ºF to 30ºF, and it seems to help.

Of course, there's the old stand-by for some folks: a decent silicone spray. Like NAPA's Mac's, or Blaster silicone, or DuPont silicone. I find that the 303 helps keep the seals and weather stripping in peak condition, though a good silicone product might be better with the water repellency/-proofing.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by GAsierra
Of course, there's the old stand-by for some folks: a decent silicone spray. Like NAPA's Mac's, or Blaster silicone, or DuPont silicone.
CAUSION too the "OLD SCHOOL" guys, DO NOT USE these products on any exterior nonmetal vehicle parts (manufactured from approx. 2002 and newer), weather stripping, plastic rubber etc,. when they are exposed to the environment and the UV of the sun, they will acerated the deterioration of the material.