Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Check engine light 6 times

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Default RE: Check engine light 6 times

i kinda like my "gas hog" six-banger! haha.... no wonder you get another 100 miles on a tank over me. 410 mpg is when i baby the hell out of my car, i'll get around 375 if i romp on the car a good bit.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:58 PM

The car exhibits no other symptoms and has 18K miles on it. I don't know and was never told about the codes that were tripped. My wife, who is the driver of the car, asks that they stop filling after the first click and don't top off the tank. The canister that was replaced 3x had fuel in it. The service manager told me that the canister can't have anything in it. It is part of a safety system that shuts off fuel flow if the car rolls over. Is this for real??

Old 04-26-2006, 10:09 PM

Unfortunately I only have 1 code. The service orders I have in order from most current to oldest say:
--Canister, Evap sys l
--Cap, filler & Valve , sole
--Performed Recall MSP 10
--Canister, Evap sys l
--Performed Diag F008xdx DTC Code P2402
Evap Valve and Canister

No other codes listed on service orders
Hope this makes problem clearer

Old 04-26-2006, 10:11 PM

I found code P2402 on a service order. Sorry. I included this info in another reply

Old 04-26-2006, 10:24 PM

The dealership you are going to is defently doing something wrong. there is nothing wrong with topping your tank off and adding a few more clicks to the end, the only reason they tell you not to is becuase its bad for the environment. without the exact fault code I cant help you very much. it could be several things leak, ( small or big ) and incorrect flow. If you could call the dealership or look at your recipt from the dealership it should tell you what the fault is. It would make it easier for use to try to help diagnose.

DD

Old 04-26-2006, 11:09 PM

sorry about that I didnt see the post before mine. P2404 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Sense Circuit Range/Performance

that fault means that your leak detection pump isnt working properly. A leak detection pump is a small air pump that pressurizes your gas tank to check for leaks. for some reason either your pump isnt working at all, or its turning on at the wrong time, or it isnt running long enough.

Hopefully that helps you, I tried to explain it the best I can

DD

Old 04-28-2006, 10:52 PM

Code was actually a 2402 which is EVAP system leak detection pump control circuit high. 2404 could be indicating something as simple as a clogged evap system air filter whereas the 2402 is definitely pointing to a fault in the pump load currect for the pump. Good description of the pump and basic operation there 04maz6. There have been so may problems with the P24XX codes and most have been due to incorrect PCM calibrations. P2404 being the most common. Sure wish we had a better description of what has been replaced and what code stored or set had prompted that part to be replaced. The MSP 10 is simply a PCM and TCM reflash to enable better compatibity with generic scan tools although any prior reflash for misc other things was programmed in along with it. Leaks of the system tend to show up with P0442, P0455, or P0456 depending on the severity of the leak.
No the canister is not part of a safety system that shuts fuel of in case of a roll over. The canisters sole purpose is to collect and store fuel vapors untill they can be drawn into the intake system and burned during combustion. The fuel shut-off valve and roll over valve perform the function of shutting off the system in case of roll over although I guess you could say that the roll over valve does keep the fuel from pouring out into the canister and then on out to the ground.
Have you tried a different dealership that maybe has more experienced techs? What is the dealer like where you take the car in? I know that some dealers are predominately say a GM franchise but sell a few Mazda's on the side and the techs there dread Mazda problems as they are so used to the main line of work.
Perhaps there is a way to get a better look at the items that have been replaced and what prompted that need so that you might better understand what has been done and why.
Remember one thing about Lemon Cars. The vast majority of cars that are bought back under lemon law are not lemons at all. The major fault is in the poor repair attempts made in order to fix the problem.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:30 PM

babyhuey..what would we do without you?!?