Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Brake Light not working 2008 Mazda6

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 05:12 PM
Default Brake Light not working 2008 Mazda6

I keep blowing the 20A fuse under hood.
I have changed brake light switch on pedal but same issue.
With fresh fuse the horn works. As soon as brake pedal is pressed the fuse blows. Brake lights don't even come on for a split second and the horn dies.

I have disconnected the rear harness from all bulbs including high middle and spoiler.

I measure with my ohm meter the green w yellow strip wire (hot from switch) to ground it is basically a dead short (3 ohms). Which is exactly the same as black wire (ground). These measurements are at a connector that would plug into a bulb.

Followed rear harness as far as I could in trunk area. No signs of damage/pinched or grounded wires.

Where could my short be?
Has anyone else have similar problem?
Where do I go from here?

Old 03-06-2023, 04:10 PM

Update
I disconnected the big cable connector from my ABS Control Module under the hood.
I measured ohms and the hot line (Green/Yellow strip) was not connected to ground any more.
I cleaned connector and re-installed to the ABS CM
The fuse did not blow and my brake lights work again (along with horn and cruise control)
Not sure if this will be a long term fix or if that was even the problem ... time will tell