Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

brake caliper paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Default brake caliper paint

Okay, might seem tacky, but thought about painting calipers yellow. Just for looks, for commuting, brakes are okay. I know it sounds so dumb, but I'm assumimng you have to remove caliper to paint? Was gonna ask for caliper paint as gift (inlaws want a "list" now!!, they are hard-core X-mas shoppers), and din't want to ask for it if I need to remove calipers as I haven't a caliper kit yet.

Any paint brand recommendations also? Lots of kits out there........

Old 11-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

No you don't have to remove them, but you may want to mask the areas you don't want to get paint on. Removing the brake pads makes it easier but is not necessary.
Having a can of laquer thinner and a disposable rag around during the process is also a good idea.
Completly prep your surfaces. This is important for a good final product. Clean off all the grease, brake fluid and dirt first, then take a wire brush to any loose corrosion on the caliper itself. I recommend taking some 60-100 grit sand paper to any smooth surfaces to be painted to give it "tooth" for the paint to stick better. Then a final and complete rince using Brake Cleaner.
Remember, and as the pros always say, prep work is 90% of the job.

1) Do not use the spray-on type. It sucks, chips easily, overspray everywhere and will not go as far or cover as well as a brush on.
2) I used brush on DupliColor at first. Two full coats the first day, followed by touch up after touch up in the months to follow. The front calipers are especially susceptible to stone chips. Don't go there either.
3) G2 epoxy is the only way to go IMO. It's not the easiest to use and you really only get one shot at it. Its expensive compared to DupliColor also, but well worth it, IMO.

Follow all the prep steps I outlined above, but your best shot is to do all four at once.
Or, if that's not possible, you can do what I did, cut the paint and hardener in half and mix only half at a time.
You will have enought to do all four calipers, rotor hats and edges if you prefer, but that's about it. A good thing since any remaineder will harden within a few hours and is then completely unusable anyway. For me, no more chips or touch ups!!
I like that.
Name:  IMG_2372-1.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  52.9 KB

Old 11-09-2011, 07:13 AM

that looks great! Sounds to me you would need your car out of commision for 48 hours----or at least 24 for each wheel, right? Anyway, thanks, looks a lot better than I thought (or have seen). I especially like that you painted near the hub for added visual depth

Old 11-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

No, no, no. It only takes a few hours to set up, but they do recommend not driving the car for 24hrs. Personally, I didn't find that to be competely necessary. I installed the decals you see after about two hours of set up/dry time.

Yeah, w/o doing the rotor hats it just looks to me like the job is half done.

Be careful not to go too far. You don't want to paint the wheel contact surface, but you will need about 3/8" overlap on the front or will see it when the wheels are installed.
You can get an idea using a Sharpie and marking the "hats" with the wheels still in place. It won't be a perfect outline as the access is tight, but a good idea when you actually go to paint.

Last edited by virgin1; 11-09-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: typo