Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Beware! Engine failures are common

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Default Beware! Engine failures are common

After my engine failed after just 42K miles, I started asking around and reading this post. Seems Mazda's 2.3L engine is prone to fail. Mine was caused by a crack in the oil filtration aparatus. How or why, I have no idea. This is how the dealer explained it. He also told me it was a part they relaced when they last changed the oil. Because of this and only because of this, Mazda so generously offered to assist with a small token towards the cost (yes, I am being sarcastic). I still am looking at $4,000 for what it seems is a bad engine prone to failing as this forum and many mechanics have attested to. I loved my Mazda, but am seriously having second thoughts.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ben Monaghan
After my engine failed after just 42K miles, I started asking around and reading this post. Seems Mazda's 2.3L engine is prone to fail. Mine was caused by a crack in the oil filtration aparatus. How or why, I have no idea. This is how the dealer explained it. He also told me it was a part they relaced when they last changed the oil. Because of this and only because of this, Mazda so generously offered to assist with a small token towards the cost (yes, I am being sarcastic). I still am looking at $4,000 for what it seems is a bad engine prone to failing as this forum and many mechanics have attested to. I loved my Mazda, but am seriously having second thoughts.
For what it's worth, engine failures for the 2.3 liter mill are not at all common, even less so due to a filter housing failure. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but this is the first I've heard of this type of a failure in over three years.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:07 PM

+1 I've heard of lots of the 3.0's failing due to clogged precats (pre 06) and a good number of MZR's throwing rods after people modded them and never tuned them, but this is the first I've heard of a problem like this in 4 years or so.